Archinect
anchor

emailing for student internship?

eastcoast

I am currently a second year student looking for a summer job. I knew the odds were slim but i emailed many (like around 12) different firms about a possible internship for the summer in case there was a chance I would get one. For the next summer, after my third year I would really seriously like an internship, or would pretty much need one. I want to be sure that I am going about the process right. What should you do if you the firm you are trying to contact only has a online contact form but no direct email. There is no way to attach any resume or portfolio. should you email anyway and should they request a portfolio send it? I'm not sure what the most professional thing would be in this situation. Also, i know that many architects are considered 'intern' architects until they actually become real architects. is there something to distinguish this from a student internship?

Apr 30, 17 10:24 pm
MyDream

Sure I email firm all the time and I got an interview at cuhaci and Peterson from attach a resume and attach some sample files. There is a more professional way I bet, but this what I do.(not an intern by the way)

Apr 30, 17 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Sure I email firms all the time and I got an interview at cuhaci and Peterson from it. Attach a resume and some sample files followed by a phone call. There is a more professional way I bet, but this what I do.(not an intern by the way).....damn I couldn't correct mistakes...lol

Apr 30, 17 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
Email them exactly what you are trying to accomplish and how their firm aligns with your goals. Always attach a portfolio, resume and cv when possible before having them ask you for it, because they won't spend the time to do that. Let them know that you're a student searching for a summer gig, that's okay. Mention skills that you have that may benefit their office setting.

Other option, maybe better option, ask for an informational interview (exact phrase). This gives the firm an opportunity to get to know you as a person and find out if you're a good fit for the culture. Many firms prefer an intelligent professional person with good people skills that will fit in with the office than a bang on portfolio. Still send resume, port, cv etc. Go in with the intention of asking questions about their office culture, process, projects etc. then you can ask if there are any opportunities for summer internships then.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Apr 30, 17 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: