Archinect
anchor

architecture speciality with most design work

bdp612

I tried searching for a thread like this already -- apologies if this is asked often. I'm considering a career change to architecture. Sites like this have taught me that the reality of an architecture job is that you don't really do much design work.

I'm wondering if there are specialties within architecture that get more pure design work than average. I'm most interested in small-scale residential stuff, or acoustical architecture, designing home or professional recording studios. If residential or acoustical architecture wouldn't get me a higher amount of design work, is there a specialty that would?

If there's no specialty like that, any advice? There's no skill set that I'd want to learn more than architecture, but the reality of the job scares me away from investing in another degree.

Thanks very much!

Apr 29, 17 10:02 pm
geezertect

Interior design--just be aware that you are competing with well-connected dilettantes.

You want to be an architect, but the reality of the job scares you away.  Think about what they statement suggests.

Apr 30, 17 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

You could do it as a hobby? See where that takes you. Also, there's a bunch of people on here pushing to get rid of the license, so soon everyone can be an architect in their spare time!

Apr 30, 17 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
bdp612

Thanks you two.

geezertect -- I don't think that I'm as inspired by interior design, but I will take some time to research it and think about it, good advice. And yeah, what I'm reading scares me, but I wanted to see if a specialty within architecture has a different nature that seems like a better fit for me.

archi_dude -- I probably would learn about it as a hobby if I don't choose it as a career, it's fascinating stuff to me. I'm looking for a new career in any case though. If there were no license requirement, would the world of architecture be different? More freelance, more design work? Is there any kind of timetable on this license reform?

Apr 30, 17 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

+1 on interior design.  A huge number of architects are so uncomfortable with colors and finishes that they will gladly cede control of those items to someone that seems to have some skill in that area.  To a lesser extent, I've observed the same to be true with exterior elevations.

If you want to do really nice small scale work, a design-build model would be the way to go.

May 1, 17 11:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: