Archinect
anchor

How can "architecture" reach out.

BbSidd

Hello.

I am trying to explore ways (architectural: e.g. type of spaces; non-architectural: e.g. marketing) through which architecture can reach out to a wider range of people.

Reaching out not just in the sense of building for communities in need but also making people understand what the profession as a whole can offer by creating and/or changing their surroundings for good.

So what do you think how architecture can reach out? Your responses would be of great help :)

Regards.

Apr 27, 17 5:08 pm
wurdan freo

Make everything out of glass... People will connect with architecture and birds too!

Apr 27, 17 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

just so we're clear, are you anthropomorphizing architecture?  is that your intent?

Apr 27, 17 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Translate it to dollars (rents, longer tenancies, lower maintenance/energy costs) to get their attention. Also most people don't want to live in a work of art, instead of telling people why they need us and how smart we are, ask them what they want and deliver it efficiently without headaches. The houses in my neighborhood that are obviously done by an architect or designer I think are the least relatable. We don't listen we try to tell.

Apr 27, 17 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Might find this Exclusionary Design: Asking a New Question, by Ivana McConnell relevant. Not writing directly regarding architecture but same principles I think apply.

And this question "Should I build this?" is noteworthy, especially in light of #NotMyAIA and #NoBanNoWall

Flip side could be something like Design Corps...

Apr 28, 17 12:01 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Navel-gazing...

Apr 28, 17 8:35 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Well, some of Gehry's masterpieces focus the suns rays on nearby parked cars so that they practically explode. Is that '"reaching out"?

Actually Shigeru Ban retired the trophy with his paper houses for the Aids patients to die in. The ultimate golf clap for Shigeru!

Apr 28, 17 10:47 am  · 
 · 
davvid

We can start by making the invisible world of architecture offices, client meetings, community board meetings, architecture students more visible to the general public.

Architecture is cultural, and thanks to blogs like Archinect, Architizer, Dezeen, etc. it is far more visible and inclusive than it used to be. Architecture culture now includes a wide range of people who particulate casually in architecture discourse online (even if that discourse is crass and snarky). 

The profession is also becoming more collaborative, multidisciplinary, and more media savvy. This helps with the communication problems that architects are so notorious for. 

Apr 28, 17 11:11 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Are you suggesting an arch reality show?

Apr 28, 17 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

haha.. I am not suggesting that.

May 1, 17 10:01 am  · 
 · 
think_again

take a look at the work of Andres Jaque. through his research he has made important findings not just for architecture but for people as well. also take a look at the writings of Beatriz Colomina for contemporary theory on architecture and design. Jaque and Colomina both have similar interests particularly in hidden networks and media in general.

Apr 30, 17 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

no need to reach out, the 'people' already are well aware of architecture and its possibilities. its really just people and culture first already.  architecture follows that whether we like it or not.  like many have said, its as if the architects have no choice in the work, and the clients choose what to do for better or worse, based on the culture.  its the culture that is designing, and there are obvious problems with that.  it would be better to reverse this and have architecture go back to being more of an autonomous profession.

May 2, 17 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: