Archinect
anchor

Coming back to the construction industry after being away for years.

cbonnie

Hello all,

I’ve been away from the construction industry for about 5 years now, doing various jobs to survive. I had the misfortune of graduating from school in 2010 when the recession was taking its toll on the industry. I was able to gain about a year of experience in construction before giving up and trying to get into tech. Then I tried to become a UI/UX designer for years without any luck because of my location and lack of experience. I don’t live in “designer” cities such as San Francisco, New York and I have no desire to move to those expensive cities. I had some UI design internships but with companies asking for 3-5 years of experience, I couldn’t score any entry-level job in the tech industry. I also started hating the start-up culture and ageism in tech so now I’m considering going back to construction. I miss working with physical materials and building long lasting structures. I have Bachelor of Science in Architectural Technology. 

Just to be clear, I don’t want to become an architect. After some introspection, I decided that I’m a hands-on practical person who doesn’t have the patience to deal with design theory so I think a path in construction management would be more suitable for me. Money and job security is also a very important factor. All I have is my diploma right now. All the portfolio and construction drawings I had done was gone when my hard drive died. My question is, is it a good idea to come back to construction? How can I get a foot in the door without any work to show? My last construction job was back in 2012. Do you think I should come back or give another try to tech?

Any advice is appreciated as I’m feeling so lost and frustrated.

Thank you.

Apr 25, 17 1:29 am
Non Sequitur
You never backed up any work?
Apr 25, 17 5:45 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Do you have any friends/former co-workers in construction?  Call them

Apr 25, 17 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Go into construction management, look for an entry level job as a Project engineer -or Assistant Project Manager for a General Contractor large or small or a real estate/development company.

Start looking and applying

Apr 25, 17 10:47 am  · 
 · 
breakit

I posted a similar thread on the other forum. I'm trying to come back to architecture though. Just wanted to say hi. Hi!

I hope everything goes well for you, us. 

Apr 25, 17 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

If you are feeling lost and frustrated, in my mind its time to do some real soul searching. clearly understanding what it is you want and then what you have to do to get it. I REALLY wanted to be an architect since I was 13 and I dropped out of high school at 17 and attempted to start work as a drafter, FAILED! went got my GED at 19, went to a Jr. college for almost 3yrs but didnt finish, got married and left school again, we got pregnant a 2nd time and left school again, took me 8yrs to finish my B.arch only 2yrs for my M.arch, and a little over 4yrs to finish the a.r.e. Because I REALLY wanted to be an architect. there were a lot of days I thought about just calling it quits but I would always find a reason bigger than myself to push through.

best to you,

Apr 26, 17 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
eswdes

I graduated in 2008 before the recess.  I lost job in 2009 and left for 4 years.  My sister got so sick and I took care of her at that time. I started again in 2013 and did finish my IDP. I still have ARE to go on. I didn't pass any.

I don't feel lost and frustrated anymore but I also don't feel accomplished. I really wanted to be an architect but I don't approach as it's like my entire world anymore. You may be feeling the pressure but resist this sense of desperation and give some time to yourself. Everything will be ok and there are ways things work out in life...I still hope to believe so...best wishes...truly. 

May 2, 17 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

s=r*(theta) - This gives me hope, that if one day I want to be an architect again I can.

May 3, 17 3:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: