Archinect
anchor

Landfill project

kyleyiweng

Hi all, 

I came across this design project the other day of a building underneath a ecological landfill, with opening for lights. I though it was quite interesting but wasn't able to find the name of the project. Anybody here recognise project of this sort??

Thanks!

Apr 22, 17 11:30 am

Are you sure you read that correctly? Ecological landfill is a bit of an oxymoron.

And occupying a space below leachate? Yeeech!

Apr 22, 17 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Freshkills park by James Corner is sort of an eco-landfill....

Apr 22, 17 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

The suggestion that the cap and cover strategy used at Freshkills is ecological doesn't take into account that this is a standard practice.  It also suggests that covering materials with clay and soil so it can that will "harmlessly degrade over time and create unknown chemical compounds is ecologically sound. That or every fill/cap/park landfill out there is "eco," this would differ from those landfills that became parking lots or retail centers.

What is unique about Freshkills is the location and former "supplier." That the populace of New York city was forced to come up with another waste strategy- and that the subsequent "now next" management plan will take 30 years to complete and probably another 50 to really establish itself as the place it is imaged to grow into. 

I wonder if the OP was talking about this, assuming it was sourced on archinect.

Apr 22, 17 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

edit: What is unique about Freshkills is the location and former "supplier." 

Apr 22, 17 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: