Archinect
anchor

designing a prison cell set for film

videoman

Hello all,

Any suggestions for materials for a small concrete prison cell for a short film?

I need material for the walls that can pass, under fairly low light, as concrete. I was thinking perhaps drywall spray painted grey or dark blue, but I want to see if anyone with more experience has other ideas.

The dimensions of the set will be about 10 ft X 4 ft X 8 ft 

It will be 1080p video, lit with LED and a couple of small tungsten lamps

Thanks!

VM

Apr 21, 17 10:44 am
Schoon

You could buy a bag of cement and tons of styrofoam beads.  Coat the beads in gray paint and mix with cement and water (you can look of concrete recipes online, use styrofoam as aggregate).  Form into 8"x16" panels and attach to plywood using adhesive.

Or if you're going for a solid wall look you could make a thick cement paste and paint it onto the plywood.  If you do this make sure you stiffen the plywood so it doesn't bend and crack the cement.

Good luck with your film!

Apr 21, 17 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
jungle

Spent my first working year at a scene shop building/painting sets for high profile theaterical productions. A concrete faux-finish is the only reasonable solution here. Drywall would work, masonite would be better though. Get an additives like the "paint or sculpt" putty to give texture / depth if needed.

Apr 21, 17 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: