Archinect
anchor

Public Service

bowling_ball

I'm sitting in a City Council meeting tonight to get a project approved. Just awful. This is where dreams go to die.

Apr 18, 17 7:03 pm
Non Sequitur

We do this often.

I've even stood in at an open house and bared torches from (rich) angry home owners for hours on end. We just had to show/pretend to listen. This was a multi-billion infrastructure deal and houses were going to be expropriated and trees were going to be cut regardless.

Apr 18, 17 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

My first-ever architecture job was a co-op placement in the public service, not in an architectural capacity but in a construction project management role working for a (lapsed-license) architect.

I think the main thing I really learned there was that I never wanted to work in the public service again.

Apr 19, 17 5:48 am  · 
 · 
Schoon

My first 2 interviews for my first internship were on the same day, back to back, the first at a midsize AE firm and the second at the city parks department.  The contrast between the two was so tangible.  I could feel the energy and optimism being sucked out of me just talking to the parks department people.  That plus my friends' horror stories about working for the streets department made me never want to hold a government / public service job.

Apr 19, 17 11:07 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I've sat on both sides.  Usually, it's not bad.  But sometimes... pitchforks and torches having to face "the mob" of a surprisingly idiotic paranoid extremist public.  Seriously; Most the mob truly believed if they were historically designated, we'd force them to remodel their homes to 1900 conditions and there would be no way to get homeowners insurance (which would also cause the bank to call the loan and no one could get a loan to buy it from them).  I dealt with bi-weekly 'public hearings' for 8 months with that sort mentality.  

It was the start of my lack of faith in humans to ever fact check things they hear. The mob is stupid as hell and scary.

Apr 19, 17 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: