Archinect
anchor

AIA or not

ennisdavis

I have worked for a dozen Architects over the years, half were AIA half were not. Ones who were not said what does the AIA have to do with being an architect. They also talked about being fee'd to death by the AIA. I see their point. Pay your dues and you still have to buy forms. Why not just get the forms and xerox them. The point  of the AIA came up when studying for the ARE, sure alot of information concerning the AIA docs in the study materials. The Architects I worked for who were not AIA were great Architects, old school and really knew their craft. Any thoughts on the topic?

Apr 17, 17 8:07 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 7 Comments

shellarchitect

Just got a renewal notice today... $500! If the firm pays than no prob, but I don't see how many individuals can justify that. Hopefully​ I can stay on the aia building code committee without re-uping.

Apr 17, 17 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I don't like the fact that there are mandatory dues at each level, and that you can't just be a national member.  I don't want to have to pay two (or more) organizations for the minimal service I get from one. 

Apr 18, 17 7:54 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Some uninformed clients think AIA has something to do with qualifications and that membership connotes a higher level of competence.  There are some networking advantages I suppose, and it is the organized "voice" of the profession, but if you are an employee in someone else's office the dues are too high for what you get in return. JMHO.

Apr 18, 17 8:09 am  · 
 · 
I should probably make this comment into a graphic I can just cut and paste because this question comes up so often:

I'm registered, 50 years old. Been an AIA member most of my professional life. In Philly for ten years I was a member but wasn't involved really at all and I barely saw any benefit to my membership.

Since moving to Indy 11 years ago I threw myself into volunteering at my local chapter and I've seen HUGE benefits. My network of both architects and allied professionals is enormous, not just locally but in my three-state region. I've been invited to speaking gigs, juries, conferences, podcasts, etc. all over, directly thanks to AIA contacts. I have friends in our profession all over the country.

You get out of it what you put into it. The AIA National frustrates me immensely sometimes, but the more those of us who care try to actively steer the organization in the direction we want, the more results we see.
Apr 18, 17 9:19 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
citizen

Useful comments all, on both sides.  Am just getting ready to write another check.

It's interesting that both Donna's points and the others about high fees don't cancel each other out.  Both are (or can be) very valid.

(By the way, if you happen to do any teaching, ask your  local branch about a lower rate.)

Apr 18, 17 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

AIA lost my support several years ago when their public outreach seems to be along the vein of architects as artists.  I come from more of the previous master builder mindset where we are more educated in all realms of construction, not just aesthetics and spaces...  The basic summary of my old clients was "you want it to look pretty, call an architect... if you want it to work, hire an engineer."  

AIA only touts how pretty we design buildings, so the engineers stepped in with 'static pressures', 'wind speed', 'ASTM', capillary wicking, and more engineering sounding terms & tests.  Our clients have no idea we know those terms quite well too and how to design to account for it simply because we don't have anyone trying to educate them. Instead, AIA holds banquets to walk up and down the runway showing off all the latest fashions and designer trends....  

Insult to injury, the AIA actively pursues limiting liability of architects essentially saying 'others' are more responsible and knowledgable about pretty much everything that goes on in construction.  They know its hard to sue for bad aesthetics or poor taste.  How this comes across though is we are stupid and incapable of doing anything without a engineer checking our work.

It's a social club patting each other on the back.  Knowing other architects doesn't pay the bills if you are seeking clients; it is helpful if you are looking for employment at an architecture firm.  By limiting, rather than expanding what we are capable of doing, so goes a ton of jobs...

Also, IMHO, because those jobs are going straight to engineers, as a society, we're filling spaces now with less creative and thought out structures because engineers often lack that creative training we got and have less than elegant solutions that lack context or insight.  The result is a jem here and there with a lot of functional filler structures in between.  Also due to this "we just make it pretty", it makes it harder to command decent fee's.  Maybe if clients actually understand our real contributions of what we do, it'd have more value to them.  

Apr 18, 17 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

We will have machines to take care of that soon. Creativity and artistry will Survive the automation revolution.

Apr 18, 17 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

"It's a social club patting each other on the back"

Exactly

Apr 18, 17 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I take issue with this idea that design is either fluffy aesthetic treatment or hard science engineering. The real value of designer/architect is in between...its application of the soft sciences, clever spatial design, and artistry that creates end result value. The value of the tedious process is only justified if the end result is worth it. Not sure why architects are so afraid of being associated with what is their most
valuable attribute.

Apr 18, 17 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

At its' best, architecture will combine the soft and hard sciences of building. Firmness, commodity, delight. Unfortunately, the mindset of most architects, at least early in their careers, shortchanges firmness and commodity. This attitude starts in school and is glorified by the popular culture, and by the AIA. It's the cool part (supposedly).

Apr 18, 17 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

I'll just point out that regarding technical knowledge (aka firmness and commodity) the AIA has Learning Communities and offers tons of continuing education sessions - not just boring lunch-n-learn topics, but serious technical advancement - on its website and in magazines and events. All of that non-pretty, non-soft stuff is there if you look. It's just that pretty pictures are so easy and eye-catching that they get the most attention. Like Playboy.

Apr 18, 17 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

I agree with mightyaa, how many people did the "look up" commercials convince that architects have valuable contributions to a project. Just once again, "it will look prettier." Most people think architects are completely replaceable with Pinterest, the AIA is doing nothing to counter that. Oh yeah, the goons pushing for calling anyone who graduated with an arch degree and wanted to pursue waxed mustaches and das flute aren't either. We're outnumbered mightyaa.

Apr 19, 17 12:28 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I agree with mightyaa too. But archi-dude, I must point out that the ARE is NOT the metric that you claim it to be. I had to take trig, calculus, physics, statics, etc in college but none of that heavy math and science stuff is on the ARE, which is largely a test of AIA docs and procedures designed to protect architects. Sorry, dude.

Apr 19, 17 3:23 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I agree Donna; The AIA does have multiple wonderful learning opportunities, boards, etc. where you can share knowledge with your peers. I disagree that is worth the price of admission though. And it's hard to take seriously when I can get "health, safety, welfare" continuing education credits attending a pretty picture awards ceremony. The smaller board and roundtables are good... but I can accomplish the same thing through meetup and offering beer without paying dues.

Apr 19, 17 11:55 am  · 
 · 
proto

somewhat sideways to the conversation but still related to benefits of aia...

as a sole proprietor, i pay private health insurance. i understand that aia members have access to group health insurance. can anyone using that benefit comment on whether it's worth it?

paying private sucks immensely...the yearly cash outlay vs the benefit is staggeringly out of balance with what i was used to when i worked for a large office

Apr 18, 17 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I wish I knew the answer, or that someone who knows can answer. Wanting a real benefit, not networking with other architects and award shows is something I think many architects share, especially since so many are sole proprietors. I'd love to have access to an affordable group insurance plan.

Apr 19, 17 3:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: