Archinect
anchor

ARE 5 Study Materials

domestico

There's another ARE 5 study materials thread on here, but it's all reps from publishers pretending to be interns selling their study manuals.  

Anyway - to the real interns - and Canadian interns taking this test - what books did you find absolutely necessary - I ask because I'm Canadian and ARE can also be taken to meet licensure requirements- so I'm thinking I need to study the AIA Handbook of Practice for the practice management and project management exams.   For contracts, ethics and legal aspects  - does the handbook of practice cover these?  Could anyone tell me if the ARE 5 Review Manual by Ballast has all of this information rolled into one? 

Apr 16, 17 4:25 pm
s=r*(theta)

I can tell you this, ballast study material is pretty good, I typically start there. then supplement with kaplan and other materials. for these exams though, I actually passed cds in 4.0 which basically is the same as these 5.0 exams. I studied ballast 4.0, architects handbook of propractice, schiff hardin lectures (which are huge), and AiA contract documents specifically A101, A201, B101, C101, G-series, pay app, change directive, change order, list of subs, substantial completion. I basically just used kaplan practice quizzes and exams only to gauge my understanding of the material

Best to you

Apr 17, 17 11:28 am  · 
 · 
mtdew

I studied both ballast and kaplan. I preferred ballast as it was more efficient at getting to the point. 

Apr 17, 17 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Ballast 5.0 is too in depth for the new exams, IMHO. It's good for an overview, but much of it was only worth skimming. I referred to many more old textbooks to review/study material in 5.0 vs 4.0. In 4.0 I almost exclusively stuck with Ballast and Kaplan (exception was CDS material, s=r*theta hit most of the high points).
Apr 17, 17 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

especially the structural portion, I have found. YMMV.

Apr 17, 17 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i found "mikes notes" to be great for the structural portion.  

I did not understand Kaplan's structural at all.  Ballast was far better.

Apr 19, 17 10:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: