Archinect
anchor

Master of Urban Design - Advise needed

Tabata

Hi,

I got admitted for a Master of Urban Design and I was wondering if I need to have a clear idea from now about the issues that I want to tackle during my program? Meaning to be very specific from now?

I have a couple of ideas or topics that I'm interested in exploring of course, issues that I observed in the city I leave in but not really a specific and clear idea. Just pending issues that I have identified around me and I'm interested in resolving.  The reason why I'm asking is that some of my colleagues and friends have always stressed that I should start my my program with a clear direction of what I want to do and a clear 5 year plan after graduation. I don't have everything figured out yet as I'm hoping to find the answers during this time. Not sure if I'm taking it easy or if that is normal ?... It worries me a little though.

I would also appreciate any advise or tips to prepare for it before I start.

Thanks!

Apr 16, 17 4:26 pm
larchitecture

Hi AAM44!

I'm not sure I can answer your question, because I too have been admitted for a Master of Urban Design program for the coming year. I'll be at Michigan starting late June.

I'm just curious, which program will you be attending this fall?

Apr 16, 17 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Tabata

Hey,

Apr 17, 17 8:21 am  · 
 · 
Tabata

Hey,

Apr 17, 17 8:22 am  · 
 · 
Tabata

Sorry for the above hahah! My phone is going nuts. Well, i got admitted to GSAPP.. do u have a clear idea on what topics you wantvto explore there?

Apr 17, 17 8:23 am  · 
 · 
larchitecture

Congrats! I have only heard good things about GSAPP. The only reason I didn't apply myself is that I don't want to move back to NYC haha.

Apr 17, 17 9:14 am  · 
 · 
larchitecture

Congrats! I have only heard good things about GSAPP. The only reason I didn't apply myself is that I don't want to move back to NYC haha.

Apr 17, 17 9:14 am  · 
 · 
larchitecture

As for my own interests, I've been in practice for about 3 years now, and my desire to study urban design is mostly reactionary to urban sprawl in U.S. Midwest and Sun Belt cities. I'm drawn to the idea of finding ways to combat the issue at multiple scales. I have been told that this interest is incredibly specific for someone going into the MUD program, so I'm sure you'll be fine if you haven't formulated a clear picture on a certain topic that interests you. I would think that after spending time at Columbia, you'll start to realize which of your interests are more important to you.

Apr 17, 17 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
kaplantom23

You definitely don't need a specific idea. School is for learning and experiencing what you don't know. I suggest programs that let you explore and experience projects to figure out what you want to focus on.

Jul 14, 17 2:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: