Archinect
anchor

Sparse portfolio - need some help

Russell3000

I don't have a Bachelor's in degree architecture. I went for a 3 year career change M. Arch program. Hence, I don't really have a lot of material for my portfolio. I've worked for a few years at a company that does industrial architecture and I'm looking to get into something that's more "real architecture."

Right now I have 2-3 school projects that I think are pretty strong. I have some professional work that isn't particularly interesting, but shows I can do construction documentation, detailing, BIM. And I have some sketches and odds and ends.

Even my school work is very pragmatic. I wasn't interested much in the theoretical side of architecture then and my projects were heavy on the nuts and bolts: lots of details, detailed sections, detailed Revit models showing structural members, foundations and that kind of thing. I feel like I don't have anything really impressive that stands out as special compared to some of the portfolios I've seen on here.

I guess I'm looking for ideas for some personal projects I could do to brush up on my design, 3D modeling and rendering skills I've let lapse, learn some cool Rhino/Grasshopper stuff and fill out my portfolio. I've looked into some competitions, but so far nothing I'm really passionate about.

Apr 15, 17 9:06 pm
Boudoir photos mixed within.

You should play to your strengths unless you want something that is more design. From your post it sounds like you have the content to land something decent.
Apr 16, 17 10:03 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

you are doing the right thing.you could find a site in your city and make a proposal for some kind of intervention or new building. take it seriously as the rigor will show. I agree with the idea of using your strengths although i do believe if you want to compete for a spot in excellent design programs they will be looking for evidence of conceptual thinking. So you should make an effort to conceptualize this project and create physical models and drawings that are not only technical documents; have abstract ideas that the design is of expressive of, and represent that well through diagrams or conceptual models.

If you're interested in grad programs that have a reputation for being more pragmatic and technically oriented then this may not be necessary.

Apr 16, 17 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: