Archinect
anchor

Tips for finding a job across the country?

Noypi

Hey everyone, I'm relocating to Los Angeles metro area in August and I was wondering if you guys can give me some tips on finding a job across the country and out of my network. My current strategy is emailing firms to to see if I can visit their office on the 2nd week of May (I'm visiting LA then) with the possibility of employment in August. I'm also pondering messaging firm principals on Linkedin (good or bad idea?). Also, just to be clear, I'm not just emailing and messaging random firms, these are firms who's projects I'm familiar with and have experience in. So yea, any transplants out there what to give me some advice?

Context: I have an M.Arch and 2 years of professional experience drawing schematic plans, design development, and construction documents.  

Apr 11, 17 11:07 pm
Fivescore

It won't hurt anything to try to contact people on LinkedIn - but principals of any but very small firms often aren't involved directly in hiring, so even if they're active on LinkedIn they may not bother to read or do anything with your introduction.  You'd be better off contacting the firms and asking to whom you should direct your resume and link to your portfolio, then take it from there with a cover letter/email about your visit plans.

If I were you I'd also check my alumni networks for anybody in the industry who is in your target area.  Contact a few of them and see if they'd let you take them out for coffee to pick their brains about local firms - they may be able to make some introductions, or at least point you in the direction of good firms that may be hiring.  They also might be able to set up informational interviews with their current firms.

Apr 12, 17 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

pm me about your situation, I'd be glad to offer some advice. the best approach is networking. there are way more small-medium sized firms which rely heavily on referrals. Application process is usually a game of marketing and getting noticed. Where are you relocating from? 

Apr 26, 17 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: