Archinect
anchor

Free Tuition In NYS? Great- make it competitive

BulgarBlogger

just because state colleges in NYS will become free, doesn't mean everyone is entitled to going to college. Everyone who is good enough is entitled to go to college. Opinions are welcome...

Apr 11, 17 7:04 pm
offobject

Plenty of countries all over the world have free tuition and it works out.

I believe education is a right. 

You think this means schools won't be competitive? On the contrary it might mean even more competition to get into certain programs. But it eliminates the need to have vast amounts of money to have the opportunity. Seems like a good thing to me...

Apr 11, 17 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I always said if degrees were free I'd have a dozen of them just for fun. Maybe my wish will come true. 

Apr 11, 17 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

And to address your question, there is no reason to think free tuition will make it less competitive. It will make it more diverse, mid-careers and retirees can go back to school and show the 19 and 20 year olds up.

Apr 12, 17 2:42 am  · 
 · 
empea
Bulgar - who ever said anything to the contrary? Tuition free educational systems are no less competitive. It's just that the ability to pay isn't a variable in the admissions process. If anything that makes them more competitive.
Apr 12, 17 12:17 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You have to graduate in 4 years too. Since nobody can graduate on time anymore it should cull the herd of those receiving said freebie tuition significantly. The scholarship then turns into a loan that must be repaid. 

Apr 12, 17 9:00 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I didn't find if the free tuition is only for first baccalaureate programs or not...

Apr 12, 17 9:01 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Good enough? Italics? Are you sure about that?

Apr 12, 17 9:02 am  · 
 · 

"Good enough" is a very old conversation in the SUNY system. 

As an undergrad from one of the university centers, I recall the conversations about trying ensure the caliber of the students through while the university made sure that that education was open to as many as possible. It was their effort that determined their placement subsequent years. 

Oddly enough, I knew more students that were "good enough" that dropped out versus those students who were initially perceived as  burdens that completed their degrees.

Not to mention they do a similar thing with schools in Canada and it doesn't seem to be a problem?

Apr 12, 17 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Marc - What is the "Good enough" conversation? Some sort of specific set of values in the admissions process?

Apr 13, 17 10:39 am  · 
 · 

Back then the good enough conversation was all about who should be admitted. There was (is?) a time when a few of the university centers were seen to be competitive with some of the more highly regarded private institutions  without the high tuition burden.

Needless to say there were a lot of people from across the state that didn't want students from the wrong parts of the state attending fearing they would sully "their" brand- because they weren't good enough.

Apr 13, 17 11:15 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

How can one judge if an 18-19 yo hs grad is "good enough"? I did terrible in hs...then graduated college with a 4.0 gpa...there is no real metric to judge at that age. 

Apr 13, 17 11:19 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

As the axiom goes:

"b" students work for "c" students; "a" students teach...

or:

Past performance is not indicative of future results...

PS: I have had two valedictorians of their HS work for me... 

Apr 17, 17 10:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: