Archinect
anchor

Extension to a house

matthewtanner

I'm designing an extension for my first year of uni, the project involves adding a timber kit to the existing brick and block house.Is it posssible to tie this in with the house or do i need a four wall timber frame. I've added an image to give more detail of what i mean.

if someone could help that'd be great as i'm really stuck on this one

cheers

Apr 10, 17 12:11 pm
Non Sequitur

It depends, how are your new foundations designed?

Are you keeping the existing exterior cladding and insulation?

Apr 10, 17 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
matthewtanner

i'm keeping the existing cladding and insulation and my foundations are mass concrete strip foundations.

is it a possibility to just have another wall rather than fix on to the existing? or is that generally something that isn't done

thanks for your reply

Apr 10, 17 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is seismic a concern in your area and how tall is the wall/addition? If the new building can "share" the existing foundation without imposing additional loads, then you can essentially cut and extend as you want as long as you do not disturb the footing. Just keep in mind that if this is a 4-season (ie. heated and AC space) extension, keeping the existing insulation and membrane is not ideal... but that's likely a discussion above typical 1st year project details.

Apr 10, 17 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

If there is insulation in the existing wall (looks like just brick/air space/block in your drawing?), you will want to break the existing cladding to tie your new insulation into the old. NS is right, ideally you remove the insulation between the old and new spaces.

Do you want to read the existing brick cladding from inside the addition? If yes, you will need to think about the articulation of the joint where the new walls intersect the existing. Also, it appears there might be an existing window in the existing wall to contend with. If no, you could remove the brick and insulation, leaving the block wall, and build a furred wall along the block for a new finish. Or you might find building the fourth wall along the existing wall creates a more coherent new vs old reading.

Another place an addition like this could get tripped up is at the roof. Understand the existing roof heights/details, and figure out a clean, straightforward way of attaching (or not) the new roof to the old.

Only wrong way to do this is to try to do everything in a 140 sf addition. Pick an approach, be clear and consistent.

Apr 10, 17 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: