Archinect
anchor

UMich Taubman M.Arch 2 vs. VT

gayatrimurlidhar

Hey! I just got admission in UMich and in Virginia Tech's M.Arch 2 programs - Can anyone help me pick between the two? I dont know too much about Virignia Tech's program to be honest, But U MIch just got the OTP Extension which is a pretty big advantage. Howeve, VT is half the cost. Help please! 

Apr 10, 17 10:59 am
sidewinder

Why did you even apply to VT if you didn't know much about the program? Sounds like you should take a year off and figure out what you actually want before dropping a ton of money on school.

Apr 10, 17 11:10 am  · 
 · 
gayatrimurlidhar

Let me clarify- i know enough to be interested, but i have indepth information on Michigan's course because i know quite a few enrolled students. I dont have the same depth of knowledge about virignia tech- which is to say a student's perspective. Mabye try answering helpfully before flinging judgments around about random internet strangers?

Apr 10, 17 11:12 am  · 
 · 
sidewinder

I'm not familiar with VT. But, I'd really think about what you want to get out of your M.Arch and see what school will best enable you to achieve that. Look at the whole picture as well. For example, if you hope to open your own firm one day - getting in a lot of debt at Michigan might make it take longer to save enough capital to go on your own. I think these decisions can be straight forward if you think about how school can help you achieve your goals. 

Apr 10, 17 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
gayatrimurlidhar

Thanks for your reply! My ultimate goal would be to work abroad for atleast a couple of years, and after that I honestly have my options open. Opening my own firm is definitely an option - but I dont quite want to tie myself down to that yet. I'm looking for a flexible school with approachable and friendly faculty, and for the place which prepares me best for professional practice specifically as a design architect later on. (I am a little weak structurally though - so this isn't something i want to neglect. Not really looking for a very artsy school where my weaknesses become even weaker) A school that would help me build a network in the field and which could open a few doors for me , professionally, would be idea.

Apr 10, 17 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: