Archinect
anchor

MLA GSD or Berkeley

Anizook

I only have a few days left before I need make a decision and I am having a hard time.

PRO Berkeley:  
- love the location, was really set on attending when I first started application process
- their community involvement/social justice focus is in line with my own interests
- big fan of Walter Hood
- cheaper than GSD
- can see myself fit in nicely, would be comfortable for me 

CON Berkeley: 

- open house was a bit underwhelming 
- studio felt a bit bare/empty to my liking (big believer in a energetic/dynamic studio environment)
- Walter Hood was not at open house he seems busy with own practice and not as involved with Berkeley as I'd like  

PRO GSD:
- great energy in the studio, got to meet/interact with a lot more current students 
- great facilities, faculty 
- a bit more out of my comfort zone and think I will be pushed and challenged more, which is important

CON GSD:
- seems very very graphic oriented (which is not bad) but seems to compromise the design/substance of student work a bit (I been hearing a lot people say this and a few students seemed to confirm) 
- interested in ecology, not too heavily focused 
- expensive 

I am fairly torn right now...If anybody had to choose between these two schools, would love to hear which you chose/why. Would love to get some advice. 

Thanks!

Apr 9, 17 7:41 pm
larchitecture

GSD, but that's just me. Berkeley is a great school, but it doesn't carry the same weight as Harvard in the landscape architecture community.

P.S. Walter Hood is fantastic, and I'm a big fan as well.

Apr 12, 17 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

I'd disagree with the above, Berkeley is in the same realm of top LA schools; sure, you can't drop the h-bomb on people but it's an excellent and well respected program.

That said, I would choose the least expensive option.  I personally love the GSD, but you need to seriously consider the marginal cost of your $$ for a degree that'll only net you ~50-70k per year upon graduation.  

Maybe the extra studio energy and 'pushing your bounds' is worth it, and that's fine!  But be realistic about what the extra money is purchasing, and plan accordingly.   

Apr 14, 17 9:24 am  · 
 · 
vitafusion

to the original poster, where did you end up choosing

Mar 3, 18 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: