Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Review

leriot

Dear community,

I would be glad if you could criticize my portfolio. I am looking for an internship now with unsatisfying results and would appreciate your opinion on how could I improve. If not for this year, then at least for the future.

https://issuu.com/veronikavolkova/docs/veronika_volkova_portfolio_issuu

Apr 9, 17 3:37 pm

Hmmm.... not sure why you aren't getting results. Overall the content of your portfolio is good. I think you have some items in the wrong order though. Think about how you want people to see the portfolio - do you want all the good stuff first, chronologically, etc... Leading off with your thesis from your university in Russia isn't the strongest move. It's not as refined as some of your other school projects. Also think about where you place your professional experience as well. It seems like it's been broad stylistically, as I'm not sure how much further apart you can get than Wendell Burnette and MAD. Maybe show versatility? It may also be working against you, as some firms might go "well hell she worked for MAD, why would she want to work for us?". Who knows. It's all about what grabs the hiring manager's attention.

Work your professors too, they might know someone and give you a reference. You worked with Wendell Burnette, go work for Will Bruder now? He did way back when. 

Apr 9, 17 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
o_Ob

Hi,

I think your renderings are nice, however your diagrams and process drawings seem very problematic.

For example, on page 13 bottom left, you are showing diagrams of flexible floor layouts but the figure/ground hand drawings and the corresponding drawings above doesn't really match. The core only consists of elevators and staircases, and I understand that this is a student project but that's just way too naïve. Perhaps poche the core and leave it purely as a set of diagram unless you can show elevator grouping, lobby circulation, mechanical rooms, storage, etc. Your section on page 12 is disappointing given that this claims to be a heterogeneous building, yet I don't see any variation in floor to floor height or anything. It just looks homogeneous.

I would completely re-think about Page 17-18 or get rid of them. Just look at the label "2. Green zones" and look at what you are showing in that matching drawing. And plan development drawings on page 18... come on.

But the main reason why I commented at all is to encourage you. If you are just applying in the dark, meaning applying without knowing anyone in the office, it's pretty natural that you don't get to hear back all that often. That's why school connections are super important and helpful, in many cases. Reach out to your friends/school for help. Good luck.

Apr 10, 17 1:22 am  · 
 · 
o_Ob

I apologize if I sounded too mean. I've seen your previous posts long ago so just wanted to help because you seem to care and have passion.

Apr 10, 17 1:54 am  · 
 · 
leriot

Mr. Mings, thank you for the review! It is good you pointed out the projects' order. Now I see that I I better rethink it and start wth a stronger work than my thesis from Russia.

o_Ob, thanks for the critique! I appreciate you mentioning the details. I will get rid of the 17-18 pages and work more on the 13th. However, I have a question. The tower project is, basically, a skin for the existing building which is indeed very homogeneous. The task was not to deconstruct the structure but to improve the building with a new facade. (The lack of plan details comes from it being a bank HQ with the restricted access inside.)

So the question is whether is clear at all that the project is not a completely new design?  Maybe I should get rid of the corporate plan research and replace it with information about the existing building...

Apr 10, 17 1:59 am  · 
 · 
leriot

o_Ob , that wasn't mean at all! I am very grateful for your opinion and find your suggestions helpful.

Apr 10, 17 2:21 am  · 
 · 
o_Ob

I see. I wasn't aware of the fact that this was a renovation of an existing tower. Keep in mind that not everyone reads all the texts (nor did I), and people read through portfolio rather quickly so it's critical that every drawing be super straight forward and clear as to what information it should convey. I would suggest in page 12, right off the bat, clearly label what's existing and what's new. Perhaps in the section drawing you can draw a vertical line somewhere in between the façade and the slab and draw one arrow towards façade with "new" label and another arrow towards slabs with "existing" label or something.

In page 13, I would suggest using color or much simpler graphic than those black and white hatch. It's somewhat difficult to match and read what I'm seeing. I think the idea is interesting and façade is pretty nice so I would develop this project further for your portfolio. Simplify those diagrams and having some renderings of your interaction perhaps of the sky garden or the moment where the existing/new co-exist would be nice.

Apr 10, 17 4:30 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Maybe you're aiming too low, I would try as a junior architect if I were you with your experience and portfolio. Or maybe the problem isn't your portfolio at all but your cover letter that keeps people from giving you a shot, I've received the worst cover letters and I don't even have an office (yet!), I personally am not going to waste my time downloading portfolios when the cover letter is already a letdown. Archinect to the rescue!

Apr 10, 17 5:58 am  · 
 · 
leriot

randomised , thank you for the suggestion and for the link. I better go check my documents in a writing center!:) About the position - I would aim for a junior if not the school obligations.

Apr 10, 17 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
calebehly

yeah, i was like darn thats some decent stuff(i just flipped though it) then i saw all your work experience, maybe show some of that, show your creative side and then towards the back show your cd sets or and other things you've done that you can show you can be productive in a professional environment.

Apr 10, 17 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

You should be more playful with your composition on your pages, show some of your personal character and have fun with your portfolio! I don't see your personality showing through and I think that's your only real issue.

Apr 25, 17 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: