Archinect
anchor

Masters in Environmental Design

Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

I am finishing my BA (RIBA Part I) this summer and I intent to go into practice for 2-3 years before going back to university for the MArch. I am very interested into the technical aspects of architectural design.

Cardiff University (Welsh School of Architecture,UK) is offering a 2 year part-time masters in environmental design. I am aware that the course is quite popular and also available as distance learning (online course).

My question is:

Is it worth spending 2 years on this masters degree while working, before going back to university for the MArch? Is it going to make me a better architect or more employable? Is there a risk of getting pigeonholed as an environmental/sustainability guy too early in my career? Generally speaking, is it worth studying this kind of subject or could I obtain the same knowledge by reading relevant literature in my own time and pace? Finally, is a distance learning course any decent?

From my experience of architectural education, I can't imagine how design could be taught using online seminars so I am afraid the course might offer just an introduction into env. design without going to deep. 

This is the course:

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught/courses/course/environmental-design-of-buildings-msc-2-year-distance-learning

What do you think?

Apr 8, 17 8:13 pm
Volunteer

http://cee.stanford.edu/

Food for thought.

Apr 8, 17 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks, but I am based in the UK.

Apr 8, 17 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
TED

@daer, I think it has great potential - all depends how the detail course engagement is structured (I have design a few and taken a few). I do feel generally part 1 courses don't do enough in this area so don't feel that you will be pigeoned holed but extra skilled.  Cambridge, Nottingham and Sheffield embed sustainability into their part 2 programmes so you might check them out also - lots of free courseware out there so you might try to see if you like it - when you are doing distance learning much harder especially at PG if there is not a community you can work with to build your ideas -learning the skills is only 10% but empowering them is the 90% -

Apr 10, 17 3:35 am  · 
 · 

TED, thanks for the reply. UCL and Bath offer similar (but more technical programmes) in full time study.

Bath

UCL

I wonder if it's a good idea to do the 2 year part-time masters in Cardiff via distance learning while also working and kill 2 birds with one stone. Or finish my part 2 and then do 1 year full time in UCL or Bath.

Apr 10, 17 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
mtariq

M.arch is better option. It lead u to licensure while other one not. However if u wan to academia then prefer envi design

Jun 3, 17 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: