Archinect
anchor

Advice - Canadian Universities - Master's of Architecture 2017

Antwon

Hello M. Arch Applicants,

I applied to 7 universities in Canada for Master's of Architecture for Fall 2017 and I have been rejected by 5 universities. My university is unaccredited and my grades are average. My question is should I lose hope and resort to looking for summer architecture internships and try again next year? This forum and gradcafe is causing me more stress than before and I need advice and closure. ( I know I need to not look at the result list but it gives me a good idea who I am up against.) I want to know your applicant situations whether it's positive or negative and advise for what is the best way to move forward.

Waitlist:

U of Manitoba

Rejected:

Calgary, U of T, Ryerson, McGill and UBC

Still waiting for offer:

Carleton, Dalhousie

Apr 8, 17 1:58 pm
FakeFirm

Not sure if you know. But you are not competing with students in their last year of their undergrad. Those considering a M.Arch have carefully considered and prepared their application having worked and been several years out of school. Some often have a second degree or have gone to college to brush up on design skills/ figure out if this career is a right fit for them. So by any means you are never late if you are trying to get into this from your undergrad. Many students I met at the UBC open house are well into their thirties, married and/or with families while tackling this degree. I would say have patience and if you really want to do this, take the year as an opportunity to get your feet more wet in the field/ better prepare your application. If one attempt/ round of applications discourages you, maybe you should reassess your decision to go into their field.

Apr 8, 17 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Seeing that list of rejection... it would seem that you need to either retool your entrance portfolio or pimp up your grades... probably both considering UofT and UBC take any applicants with any undergrad degree and I know the bar is rather low for toronto and calgary.

Care to share you portfolio?

Apr 8, 17 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

It would help if you clarified what you mean when you say that your university is unaccredited. At face value, you won't qualify for any master's program, and certainly not a Masters program in architecture.

Apr 8, 17 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: