Archinect
anchor

Should I choose to change my major to Interior Design? RISD Interior design or GSAPP MSAAD degree?

Huru

Hi everyone,

I am a student major in architecture (5 years) and have decided to learn architecture or interior design in the states.

Now, I have received several admission letters,  including RISD's Interior Architecture program (Mdes degree), GSAPP's Advanced Architecture program (MSAAD degree), Upenn's Advanced Architecture program (MSD degree), Pratt's Interior Design program (MFA degree).

For me, I love design, but I am 80% sure that I won't choose to get an architectural job of a big firm. I prefer to start my own business in design area, maybe will do some small but subtle projects....

The thing is, I know that maybe holding an ivy degree would offer me more chances, alumni resources, large platform, but these are invisible and maybe would be useless and meaningless...Some of my friends think that learning architecture doesn't means that I don't have the chance to do interior design, in some way, architecture includes interior design. But I just thought that it would also be great to learn interior design in RISD, as RISD is also an amazing school for me to learn everything about design...

I am just so hesitate to make a decision, should choose to learn interior architecture in RISD, or choose the Columbia's one-year program to learn architectural design?

Plus, I know that there are some negative opinions about the Columbia's one-year program, but it is true that the school is in NYC and the platform would be useful...

I would be so appreciate if someone can give me advice!

Thanks a lot!!

Apr 7, 17 11:47 am
Non Sequitur

interior arch = rebranded interior design

Stick with the more versatile and superior architecture path. Your options will be far greater.

Apr 7, 17 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Huru

Thank you for your advice! :)

Apr 8, 17 3:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: