Archinect
anchor

USC vs. UCLA (M. Arch I)

MarthaKinLA

Hi all,

Can anyone provide current information on how the M. Arch I programs at USC and UCLA differ from one another? I realize there are similar posts about these two schools, but USC seems to have been in a state of flux over the past few years, so I'm not sure how reliable that old information is. 

I have been accepted to both programs with scholarships, so cost of attendance is not an issue. I'm more interested in what people think of the pedagogy, faculty/student relationships, student environment, the work being produced, and post-graduate opportunities.

I would really appreciate input from anyone with recent experience.

Thanks!

Mar 31, 17 10:55 pm
gauravkumar

hi. i am a grad student from India, i would like to know the procedure of applying to these universities and how likely are the chances for a foreigner like me to get selected.

Mar 31, 17 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
Aprism

I've been accepted to both with scholarships as well and was wondering the same.

Apr 6, 17 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
Aprism

Have you visited either school?

Apr 6, 17 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

I've been accepted to USC M.Arch 1 [2yrs] and SCI - ARC M.Arch 1 [3yrs]. I know SCI-ARC is irrelevant, but like I mentioned in another post, USC is making a huge come back. New dean in the works, the director [Wes Jones] is moving the program in a great direction and pulling in faculty from all over the country. They have a generous amount of space, studio, galleries, library, presentation space. Their facilities are good, and I only say that because they share facilities with the art program that is located next to them. While I was talking to Wes, he mentioned that the new dean will push to have their own resources to strengthen the program's facilities. A word of advice that I got while I visited L.A., it is better to know what you want to get out of grad school, rather than trying to figure it there. That way, you know what you are looking for, and know who can help you push your thesis.     

Apr 7, 17 10:45 am  · 
 · 
xiahgigi

In terms of M.ARCH 1 program, UCLA is slightly better than USC now. However, USC is moving up and very likely to surpass UCLA in a few years.

Faculty: UCLA has better faculty in theoretical aspect. A lot of professors there are doing interesting and experimental stuff. However, USC's faculty is better in practice. If you check recent years' AIA LA award, you will find that more than half of the names on that list are USC professor's offices.

Students: Neither of them is very selective about students. So you will have both talented and bad classmates. UCLA's students are slightly better now but things will totally change if USC's M.ARCH program gets STEM designation (I heard they are actively working on it. And I also heard it is more difficult for public universities like UCLA to have that), because it is super useful in recruiting talented International students.

Environment: UCLA is at one of the best location of LA. Beach is nearby and the community is safe. However, living expense can be really high. The area of USC is not very good but the university spent a lot of money and effort keeping certain blocks near the campus safe, so you don't need to worry about that. Moreover, DTLA is being revitalized, which will definitely benefit USC.

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you prefer theoretical or practical Architecture?

theoretical---go to UCLA   practical---USC

2. Are you an International student?

Yes---USC   no---UCLA

3. Which school offers you more money?

Although money is not your big concern, it should still be taken into consideration in this case since these two schools are almost as good as each other.

Apr 8, 17 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
UCLA is a much better campus, and allows one to take courses in various other departments without extra fees. That said, the program is quite intense and you might not get time to do so. USC grad program has made a huge comeback and is quite well regarded now.
As for the theoretical aspects, it's a worthless trait to learn, unless one wants to teach.
Apr 9, 17 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Aprism

What about in status within the architecture world? How would a company in L.A. regard either school? As opposed to one outside of the state?

Apr 11, 17 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
AJS1512

I'm bit surprised that many on Archi seem to have a preference for UCLA over USC. While both are well regarded programs, I've heard from two former architecture professors who are still quite connected academically say that USC does in fact have the stronger grad program. Furthermore, UCLA briefly lost its accreditation about 10 years ago which may still be a relevant cause for concern. However, from what I've heard, if you lean more toward parametric design and theory, UCLA might be the better fit.

In terms of location, UCLA is hands down in a much more desirable neighborhood and probably has the better campus. The immediate area surrounding USC is rather worn and dull. However, keep in mind that LA is a unique blend of urbanism and suburbia - and is car dependent. You'll probably spend more time driving in your car than walking down Wilshire Blvd. That being said, USC is very close to DTLA, an area thats seen an incredible and exciting surge of development over the last 5-10 years. Given its relative proximity, it may be an interesting time to experience and be part of that growth.

Apr 12, 17 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Leon_ordaz03

@AJS1512 I agree with you. I think it i an interesting time to experience USC and its surroundings. I want to be part of that growth and I want to help set USC at a very high caliber with the rest of the schools. USC at one time was the main University of SoCal, and it still is to a certain degree, but things are changing. I want to be part of that change, influence it, and with the help of Wes Jones and the new Dean Milton Curry, USC will reach new heights. 

Apr 13, 17 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Aprism

If it helps, I sat through an online open house for UCLA and they have a very theoretical program. Jason Payne even said they are known for educating and helping place future professors. If your interest is theory and urbanism then I would go to UCLA. Personally, I've decided on USC because of all the opportunities in the different areas of architecture like building science, sustainability, and historic preservation. USC also has more money to dedicate to their graduate students as far as plotters, monitors, studio space and so on.

Apr 13, 17 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Leon_ordaz03

So who will end up at USC this fall?...

Apr 14, 17 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Aprism

I just submitted my promissory note

Apr 14, 17 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Leon_ordaz03

sooo....what dat mean?

Apr 14, 17 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
" I think it i an interesting time to experience USC and its surroundings."
Don't come back here when you get mugged trying to "experience the surroundings"
Apr 15, 17 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
AJS1512

Oh come on now... The area around LA is pretty dull and worn, but I think it's a bit presumptuous to contend that USC students are in any significant danger. In any case, if going to grad school at either USC or UCLA, you probably won't living on or near campus
anyways.

Apr 15, 17 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
AJS1512

Oh come on now... The area around LA is pretty dull and worn, but I think it's a bit presumptuous to contend that USC students are in any significant danger. In any case, if going to grad school at either USC or UCLA, you probably won't living on or near campus
anyways.

Apr 15, 17 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
AJS1512

*USC

Apr 15, 17 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Aprism

It means im going to usc. I grew up in those suroundings and as long as you don't put yourself in a position to be mugged, you won't get mugged.

Apr 15, 17 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
Have you ever taken a walk around USC at night/late evening? It's a world of difference from USC. Unless there is a significant difference/benefit, there is no point of going to USC for grad school.
Apr 15, 17 7:52 pm  · 
1  · 
AJS1512

Yes, I have. But, LA is LA. It isn't New York or Chicago and grad school is grad school. Most USC and UCLAgrad students don't live any where near campus. Additionally, most grad students aren't there for the undergrad "college experience".

Apr 15, 17 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
xiahgigi

Actually, USC has adopted very effective guard system to protect not only the campus but also the 10 blocks nearby. For example, there are guarders standing at each street intersections during the whole evening and night. Personally, I think that area under protection is even safer than UCLA's Westwood campus.

Apr 16, 17 12:27 am  · 
 · 
AJS1512

Apologies for the typos. It seems I can't edit on here.

Apr 15, 17 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
AJS1512

In any case, your argument is irrelevant. USC is regarded to have the better graduate architecture program over UCLA. In LA, everyone commutes by car to some degree. Furthermore, both are relatively insular campuses. However, given USC's proximity to downtown, it may be an exciting time to be apart of and contribute to that growth from an architectural and planning standpoint.

Apr 15, 17 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
A lot of UCLA architecture students live in Westwood and Palms/Venice. Yes some drive around but not all. The big blue bus connects up the westside rather well. A better campus is a better campus, period.

What you're saying about DTLA is true, but I wonder how you can "contribute" as a USC student to this phenomenon. If you're talking about internships etc, there are many in Santa Monica etc. in offices that are working in DTLA.
Apr 15, 17 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

@sameolddoctor what is your point? That UCLA is better than USC? Are you worried about "our" safety? Do you think we are dumb enough to be in places we are not supposed to be? I do not get your argument?....    

Apr 17, 17 9:47 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

No, just pointing out that the USC campus is located in a dump.

Apr 18, 17 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
AJS1512

I'd agree with you that the immediate area surrounding the campus is a dump. However, DTLA is a stones throw away which, as an architecture student, would be a pretty cool place to live right now.

Apr 18, 17 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: