Archinect
anchor

Circles are so difficult- some feedback ?

Kai-

Hi guys, 

So I want to get into ARCHITECTURE, and I have to make a model, for the enterance exam.. its been three days.. and I'm stuck on the measurements... 

Basically the building is the infinity sign-  a horizontal 8...... but I cant seem to know what the wall lengths would be as it only has two breaks for two entrances. 

Also I have to make the model in scale, and I've decided on 1.50 since its a 50 by 50 cm presentation. 

But how do we convert circular measurements to scale.

I'm so lost. 

Any help is much appreciated.. 

Mar 31, 17 3:49 pm
Non Sequitur

Only 3 days? I don't think you'll survive the first year of architecture school.  How about you start with a more simplistic shape and use that to learn how scales work?

Also, a figure 8 infinity house is not new... plenty of mobius house concepts available in the google-sphere.

...but to be more helpful, note that a building with a diameter of 5m can be drawn at 1:50 scale using a 10cm circle. 500cm/50 = 10cm. Yay math!

Mar 31, 17 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Kai-

Haha we'll see .. if I do get in.. I'll bet you I'll more than survive.. But thanks.. the helpful note helped.

Mar 31, 17 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Kai-

The infinity concept, lol --- blame Georg Cantor !!

Mar 31, 17 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

Convert circular measurements to scale the same way you would linear measurements. A meter is still a meter if it is a straight line or along the edge of a circle.

If you are trying to figure out the measurement of the edge of the circle, you can use math ... geometry (and maybe some trigonometry) would be useful here.

If you need help drawing an arc that is a certain length, this might come in handy as well. But you shouldn't need it it you have the math skills and your using simple circles and not complex curves. You'd still have to know how to scale measurements.

Mar 31, 17 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Kai-

Thank you :), for not being judgmental or snarky or condescending. There a few gentlemen left. I'm going to go back to the drawing board and follow your lead. Thank you again.

Mar 31, 17 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Great to know that you seek help here for your basic geometry issues for an architecture entrance exam - a starchitect in the making, no doubt! If you can't do the mathematics for a perimeter measurement on that shape (which should be really simple, half a circumference plus the two straight runs toward 'the pinch point' times two), and you can't draft it in CAD and get your numbers that way, you should at least be able to draw it at scale and measure things directly from your drawing (lay a string over your shape, then straighten said string and measure with your scale). This is some seriosuly basic stuff, if it throws you off you might want to reconsider your career choice

Mar 31, 17 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Really living up to your name there...not that I'm complainin'

Mar 31, 17 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

I am what I am, and I ain't no sailor man, man!

Mar 31, 17 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Kai-

Hey killa.. thanks for all that help that's wrapped in all the animosity, for someone whose lost. Just to let you know it's okay not to know and its okay to ask, even if it is from a bunch of well honed architects. But thanks for the pointers, some good advice, i'll take it.

Mar 31, 17 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Kai-

Archietechie you should be complainin' shame on you !

Mar 31, 17 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Lol, good on you being able to see past the snark (snark ≠ animosity, btw) - a little bit of good attitude will go a long way when you have crits.

Mar 31, 17 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

My point still stands, though - your examination is designed to assess YOUR ability to solve these sorts of problems. Not ours. Books are your friends, we are just a bunch of strangers.

also check this out, if you haven't yet: https://www.instagram.com/circularspaces/?hl=en

Mar 31, 17 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Kai-

I've actually done Interior design, and I'm trying to go into Interior Architecture. My maths is weak. I've traveled to a strange country to sit the exam. And I'm sort of in shock and my mind is blank. That's the jist. Also a bunch of strangers wrote those books, if I can listen to them I can listen to you guys.

Mar 31, 17 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Kai-

And yes I came unprepared. Totally. I didn't think it would work out.

Mar 31, 17 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Have you thought about where the wolf goes?

Mar 31, 17 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Kai-

All the time

Mar 31, 17 5:30 pm  · 
 · 

Circles? Heh. Rhombi are where it's at!

Mar 31, 17 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Kai-

It's nowhere to be found !

Mar 31, 17 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

If it's not a rhombic dodecahedron, you're doing it wrong.

Apr 3, 17 9:34 am  · 
 · 

I prefer rhombicuboctahedrons.

Apr 3, 17 11:54 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

place a string or paper standing on its sides around the form and measure its length against a ruler... Or buy a flexible french curve or flexible ruler and shape it around the drawing

Apr 1, 17 2:14 am  · 
 · 
Kai-

:) Thanks, you know when something is so simple that it's hard to believe and you feel like you're doing something wrong... that's what it was like.

Apr 3, 17 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Circles are the easiest

Apr 1, 17 3:39 am  · 
 · 
proto

my first year prof: "everybody has to do a circle building once...congrats, you're done with it now!"

Apr 1, 17 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Circles are difficult? Try clients, which is how I keep reading this anyways. Freudian reading I suppose. 

Apr 1, 17 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: