Archinect
anchor

McEwen School of Architecture - Laurentian University

zeushimself

Does anybody have any information regarding the programs offered at the McEwen School of Architecture - Laurentian University? Their first cohort of students are expected to graduate from the Bachelor of Architectural Studies program this year and then their 2-year Master of Architecture program will begin in September, 2017. It is currently not an accredited program because it has yet to graduate students from the complete 6-year path but overall the school seems really interesting. Is there anybody here that is currently in the program? What is it like?

Mar 31, 17 12:31 pm
Non Sequitur

Not that you'll particularly want to hear from me, but there are about a dozen Canadian architects active on these boards... so don't expect much diversity of opinion.

Anyways, it's a non accredited university 4+2 deal with, and from what I understand, the M.Arch class only starting this year. Accreditation is not garanteed and only the M.Arch applies for accreditation... so, are we to wait 6y from the first M.Arch class? That's a long time to find out if it was worth it.  You already have a tangential, but non-accredited degree.  I doubt you want to collect another. The focus of Laurentian is on the Canadian northern communities.

If it helps, the university of Saskatchewan is also developing a program and will seek accreditation, but that's likely a decade away.

Mar 31, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Yeah I don't actually have the intention of enroling there but thought it would be nice to hear from a current student as it is the first new architecture program in Canada for over 40 years. It's also the only program that is pursuing accreditation for the first time ever since CACB was established I believe. This might give better insight to other universities that are seeking to do the same thing and hopefully we will see an increase in architecture programs offered in Canada.

Mar 31, 17 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: