Archinect
anchor

School project: "How to live with a wolf?"

Bakken

Hi, everyone.

I need some help with a school project.

Imagine that you will be living with a wolf in a cube at 8x8x8 meters. You must be able to use all the same rooms, but neither you nor the wolf shall be eaten. How can this be resolved? Think sightlines, windows, heights, levels etc.

1a.)
Build a model in any size and show the inside and outside with model photographs. The model may only contain the shapes of elements (walls, doors, ceilings, floors, stairs) and one object or piece of furniture. Focus on precision in model construction.

1.b)
Explain how the cube is organized and how it works. Show how you and the wolf shall live together. You can for example show this through charts, blueprints, sketches of experiences, or in a different way. Choose the method that best explains your solution.

Best Regards
Anders

Mar 31, 17 12:33 pm

2 Featured Comments

All 35 Comments

Why are you asking us to come up with concepts for you? You're the designer - come up with something! You only get out of school what you put into it.

Mar 31, 17 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Do you own damn home-work.

· 
TED

:-)

Apr 1, 17 5:04 am  · 
 · 
sgmardini

why are your comments always so aggressive? jeez

May 4, 17 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Because students are lazy

May 4, 17 9:33 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

https://vimeo.com/5904032

· 
JLC-1

I also suggest you watch the latest episode of Samurai Jack

Mar 31, 17 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Bakken

I'm asking for tips, not the results? How angry you guys were... Didn't know I wasn't allowed to ask for some tips..

Mar 31, 17 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur's comment has been hidden
Non Sequitur

You're not looking for tips, you're just lazy or can't come up with your own unique ides. Maybe both.

Mar 31, 17 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
proto

two words:

meat walls

Mar 31, 17 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'd like to see who would eat a wolf?

Mar 31, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
proto

the hard part isn't the eating

Mar 31, 17 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I know, the more difficult part is finding suitable sidedish and acheiving the right cooking temperature. I mean, if you're going to cook it medium-rare (or rare as I prefer my wolf), you can't drop the ball and toss some steamed veggies on the side.

Mar 31, 17 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
proto

sous vide is your friend with a reverse sear

Mar 31, 17 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This is your first post. It seems like you just registered on this forum, which means you likely registered specifically to ask this question. Hang around these forums long enough and you'll notice this sort of thing happens a lot. People register, ask one question, don't get the answer they want, and leave. Over time the veteran members get jaded and short-tempered with these newbies. Especially because these newbies are almost always asking for the forum to do their research or solve their problems.

A social forum is about give and take. Threads like these, from users who never stick around to contribute, are all take and no give. So my advice to you is: give us something to work with. Don't demand answers, start a discussion. What are your ideas so far? What are some initial conditions that you & we can push on, test, critique, examine, and hone? What's the secondary and tertiary reasoning behind designing a space for a predator + prey to co-inhabit? 

Why should we put effort into solving your problem if we don't see that you've put any effort into solving it for yourself?

Mar 31, 17 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Can we post your suggestion as a warning for all new users?

Mar 31, 17 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'll have it on hand to copy + paste into every thread.

Mar 31, 17 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

sounds like a cool project - good luck.  

Mar 31, 17 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

What is the wolf's name, how big is he or she..good god man, we need more details.

Mar 31, 17 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Make friends with the wolf.

Mar 31, 17 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It begins... stop mixing politics with architecture.

Mar 31, 17 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

:)

Mar 31, 17 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

I mean, it's a damn interesting project - but coming in and copy/pasting the project brief and asking for advice just looks like you want us to think for you.

Now had you said "Here are some of my thoughts, what do you think?". Different story.

Mar 31, 17 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Bakken

I wish I didn't post this now haha, I'm sorry..
I have my own thoughts, but I had to see what you guys suggested. I mean; you guys have a lot more experience then I do, I'm not even in a Architect School.. I'm studying business, but I regret the choice of not applying for an architect school, so I'm practicing on previous exams, so that I may pass the test the school gives me when everyone applies for the school.. That's why I asked.. 
I've always loved sketching houses in drawing and in google sketch, and even in games.. So that's mostly the thing I've being doing, not this kind of a task.. I need to know where to start and stuff.. sorry for my english..

And I didn't mean to ask you to do my work, I meant like "where would you start, what do you think and stuff like that"

Mar 31, 17 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

The brief didn't say how long you'll live with the wolf. Can you bring in other wolves to start selectively breeding for domestication? The Russians did it with foxes; there's also a video out there from the BBC or PBS if you look around enough. 

Seriously though, this project sounds like a lot of fun. Tell us what you've come up with so far. If it were me, I'd already have multiple ideas sketched out on paper before the professor finished introducing the project. 

Mar 31, 17 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Bakken

The task doesn't say anything about another breed of wolf. Guess I can then? But the task do say that we both have to stay alive so I guess it should be a dangerous one..

Mar 31, 17 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Bakken

The only information I get is that I'll be living with one wolf (any size), in a cube eat 8x8x8 meters. We both have to be able to use all the same rooms, but neither me or the wolf would be eaten.
The model I have to build may only contain; walls, doors, ceilings, floors, stairs and so on, + one object or piece of furniture.

My thoughts:
1. Separate ways to go through the cube (with fences) if you know what I mean?
2. Could have a door for me starting at second floor, and a door with a large cat-door (you know what I mean) for the wolf at the first floor. The cube will have an opening in the middel from top to bottom. But the thing is.. Would this count as one room if it's a open space between first floor and second floor? So I can look down and vice versa. We have to be able to use the same rooms, would this meet the requirements then?
3. Could use some sensors and stuff, but don't think I can use that for this task..

Mar 31, 17 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I would think the best way would be to set up thresholds to switch when either the big-bad wolf, or the tasty human, are inside a room. Only 2 doors to each room in this senario so, if you open a door to the living space, the other door/path locks keeping the wolf away.

Mar 31, 17 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
proto

double helix habitrail packed into the 8^3 cube like an intestine, but connect the ends like a mobius strip...then always stay on the other side of the acrylic from the wolf

Mar 31, 17 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Bakken

Both of the ideas is very good and funny!

Mar 31, 17 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Bakken

What if I just put a kind of trap for the wolf, so that as soon as it enters the house, it will have inflicted a face mask?

Mar 31, 17 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Can we sort out some Parametricism for this lad-lassie to get ahead of the game? 

Apr 1, 17 5:07 am  · 
 · 
Zbig

Have you read Life of Pi, or the book that inspired it, Max and the Cats?

Mar 31, 17 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Bakken

No?

Mar 31, 17 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Bakken

What if I make a 8x8x8 meter cube with 3 doors (1 to in and out of husett as 1 in and out of the living room).
In each door, I have a big weed that cats use, but the wolf in this case. So now this door is used so there is a part of the floor before the door in and out of the living room turned into a treadmill so that the wolf does not come through this door before I'm out of the living room? Same goes for the wolf when it will be out of the room again.

The problem here is that if both should enter the house will both be standing in the hallway ..
Do not know if I can put the sensor and treadmill (should only insert a thing)
What do you think?

Mar 31, 17 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Riiidiculous. Researching physiological and behavioral data, as in the link below might help you build a 'client profile': http://ielc.libguides.com/content_mobile.php?pid=634924&sid=5252911#box_5252911 A real wolf would hate that small of a space. "By nature wolves are very territorial animals. They can have a home range from 33 to 6,200 km2 but it depends on the type of wolf and where they reside. On average it is about 35 km2. It is estimated that 50% of the territory of a wolf pack is covered daily. They aren’t idle for very long, making it hard to track where they are actually at." (source: http://www.wolfworlds.com/wolf-territorial-behavior-and-dispersion/ )

Apr 1, 17 3:37 am  · 
 · 
Bakken

The task has to me solved only by using walls, windows, ceiligs and those kind of things + one object or a piece of furniture. A wolff is a wolf in this scenario, and the wolf will not be running 75 km in this case..

Apr 1, 17 6:12 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

No one said the exterior or interior walls had to be fixed. Look at Paul Rudolph's Guest House in Ft. Meyers Florida. Large weights were used to open and close the panels, which is why it is sometimes called the "Cannonball House" Also the interior walls do not have to be fixed either. Many homes built in the 1930s had sliding walls that closed off a room. (My aunt had one in Memphis, TN)

Also consider FLW's Seth Peterson Cottage.

He managed to design a massive fireplace in a tiny house that could be used as a house divider in conjunction with a movable divider.

Apr 1, 17 8:00 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

You were told what the real objective was: tight model construction, photography, presentation.  Solving the living arrangement is nearly inconsequential - express your idea.

Apr 1, 17 8:01 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

you're guaranteed to not be eaten by the program.  the wolf is not a threat then, it's a roommate.

the big question should be, where does the wolf pee?  it will be easy for you to design yourself a bathroom, but the wolf needs to go outside....

Apr 1, 17 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Bakken

What do you think of this?
The problem here is that you and the wolf have to enter one by one, and wait until one of you have created a closed room..
The task doesn't say anything about entering all at one tho.

Photo: 
https://ibb.co/c9HDaa

With this solution we both can use all the room exactly the same way.

Apr 1, 17 10:18 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You think of the wolf as a nasty roommate, where's the fun in that?

Apr 1, 17 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Bakken

I guess it's a dangerous wolf, so hehe

Apr 1, 17 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Never heard of Jungle Book? Or even Dances With Wolves? Well, it's your assignment, if you want to make it a snooze fest, go full speed ahead, you can always repeat the class :)

Apr 2, 17 3:02 am  · 
 · 

did you know about this?

https://www.wikiart.org/en/joseph-beuys/i-like-america-and-america-likes-me

Apr 1, 17 11:31 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Great reference!

Apr 2, 17 3:02 am  · 
 · 
Jeremy

oops, now I see its been posted already. skimmed the thread before posting

May 4, 17 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

Is this an assignment for an Norwegian architecture school?

Apr 1, 17 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

Bakken, very challenging project; starting from your idea, a quick thought, a circular room divided in 2 by a revolving wall, 2 opposite doors for each half, you / wolf can use each half separately & concurrently. As the wall revolves, you can both cover the whole room. This could be extended any direction, vertically -> maybe adding 2 accesses, only one can be used by the wolf, so that you can use upper floors separately. When is the deadline? Did you come up with a solution? Interesting project, for sure.

Apr 4, 17 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

@Orhan, that Beuys project is, WOW!

Apr 10, 17 12:30 am  · 
 · 

If the wolf can be any size, make it just over 500 daltrons, then get on with your life.

Apr 11, 17 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

To the OP, re: "the wolf will not be running 75km"
Go ahead and pretend that the animal will respect your ridiculous constrains if you wish to disengage from reality in your desin process, but don't fool yourself into thinking that you could ever make such callous and hard-headed calls in real life without potentially dire consequences.

Case in point:
Bow Valley wolf pack down to just two individuals, from nine last year. Inconsiderate decisions by humans have literally decimated this species in our region.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/legacy-of-decisions-blamed-for-decimation-of-bow-valley-wolf-pack

"Jacob said the most recent wolf death highlights the need to preserve large tracts of land. Some individual wolves have been known to travel hundreds of kilometres, such as a collared female named Pluie who roamed an area of 100,000 square kilometres between 1991 and 1993.

”There is a silver lining to the story. Wolf 1502 travelled over a huge area, including along important habitat corridors and in protected and unprotected areas. It shows that we need to think about animal movement over really large scales — bigger than most people think — and that corridors work.” "

May 2, 17 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Apologies for the typos - phone keyboard is touchy...

Also, I am sure we would all love to see your final design for this project - please do consider posting it here!

May 2, 17 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Bakken

I will either post it here, or send it on a pm :) First, I have to wait for the deadline to pass (y)

May 2, 17 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I was with a wolf this weekend, domesticated. Really big. 

May 2, 17 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

Just need some felt, and a cane. (well this was a coyote but I am sure it would work). I Like America and America Likes Me, 1974 - Joseph Beuys  

May 4, 17 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
FakeFirm

Ropes and suspended platforms. Let the wolf have the ground and watch him from above

May 4, 17 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

This all sounds possible, as long as you make room for the sizable ego.

May 4, 17 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Ricky, the problem aims to generate an architectural solution.
May 5, 17 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Bakken

Yes

May 5, 17 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: