Archinect
anchor

Any shot at grad school?/What to tell admissions about low GPA

cxhy0

Just wanted some insight about grad school and my current situation.

I graduated ugrad with a BS (4+2 path) in 2015 and have been feeling some pressure to go back to grad school. 

My first two years of college were really bad... (was depressed, got help, you get the story) and so my cumulative GPA is 2.87. I tried my best to raise it my last two years but couldn't get it to 3.0 before graduation. My GPA my last 4 semesters have been between 3.2 and 3.5 though. How much would I need to explain my low GPA? Unsure how much to delve or if it's appropriate to tell admissions I was depressed, got help, the whole shebang.

I know I'd need a super stellar portfolio with great GRE scores/recs/etc if I were to apply. 
Grad school has always been a goal but I've been so discouraged with my low GPA and so I was wondering if I even stand a shot. 
Already got my backup plan in the works- currently working in NYC to get licensed in 4 years without a MArch. 

If anyone's got any advice or insight, its much appreciated. 

Mar 31, 17 12:50 am
accesskb

Some schools don't count the first year or two and would take the average of your final 3 years or so.  Some may even accept you if you slightly below their requirements but if they see you've worked hard and made improvements in the final few semesters.  They might accept you or even give you a conditional offer like maintain a certain grade or else you'll be asked to withdraw.  Best is to go visit the school and meet with the directors or call them up and explain your situation.  You'd be surprised how accommodating and flexible many can be.

Mar 31, 17 1:52 am  · 
 · 
TED

If you had medical issues put them forward in your application. What is always a good sign is 'upward progression' of a students' trajectory - so even more than GPA, highlights improvements in marks of design.  Would be very important to get rec letters from those tutors in final years.  Do go visit the schools personally - better than phone  - show you are motivated and passionate.  If your work experience has shown more that you have gotten over your initial academic challenges do also highlight it - 

Mar 31, 17 5:31 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

my feeling is that there are plenty of MArch programs that would accept you with a low gpa but a nice portfolio. I would just be realistic and not apply to schools like harvard, etc. 

Mar 31, 17 9:29 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

A portfolio is more important at a lot of places.

Mar 31, 17 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I would go see the dean or senior professor and have a talk with him. I would mention some problems briefly but emphasize you are doing well and are looking forward to school. Tell them you just were not that interested initially in school. Mention your plan B to get licensure through working.  I would not write down any kind of medical, especially psychological, issues on any kind of application. That is just giving ammunition for some ass in admissions to score points by rejecting you. You will be fine.  

Mar 31, 17 10:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: