Archinect
anchor

HELP, USC or Cal Poly for B. Arch

panda5

I am not able to visit either school, so anything that could help me decide would be much appreciated (Job placement, style of education...) 

Thanks in advance

Mar 30, 17 4:21 pm
Lackey

Cal Poly SLO?  That's remote, not in a city.  USC is in LA.  Where can you get the best deal financially?  Which place would be cheaper to live at?  For me, it would be Cal Poly SLO or Pomona (my alma mater) for financial reasons alone.. but it's different for everyone. 

also - 30% of my coworkers are USC, 30% are from Cal Poly SLO... just do good work and it shouldn't matter to be honest..

Mar 30, 17 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

You know, you should probably visit the schools if you are going to drop 50k or more on your education. The questions you are asking can be answered by the school itself. Everyone has different opinions because we all had similar, yet different, experiences in school. The only way you're going to know if a school is right for you is by visiting.

Mar 30, 17 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
panda5

Thanks for the advice, I forgot to specify Cal Poly SLO. Unfortunately it isn't possible for me to visit the schools. 

Mar 30, 17 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
uuuuu

Soon graduating from USC.

USC is definitely a very exciting university. You won't be just sticking around with other architecture majors, there are a lot of other talented people that you can meet outside your major, like video game designers, engineers, cinematic art students.

And about the school of architecture... The school is definitely more concerned with design concepts. There are also some studios (in 4th year) that focus on social issues, or environmental issues. Required courses (structures, professional practices) are kinda useless, I don't feel like I learned anything. But I like the design projects that I had in school. Most studio professors are very talented and helpful, but of course there will be one or two crazy professors that you will meet during your education. Now that I think about them, I am glad I met them because they really push you to do better, haha. The school also has frustrating plotters, laser cutters, 3D printers, CNC milling, robotic arm (not sure), and a woodshop. Sometimes the facilities can be quite crowded, causing mental breakdowns in studios.

Oh, and the building is alright, although it is thought of as the ugliest building on campus. You will get used to it. Let me know if you have more questions!

Mar 30, 17 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
panda5

Thanks! uuguu, how much does USC use computer applications as opposed to hand drawing?

Mar 30, 17 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
uuuuu

We use computer applications heavily, especially Rhinoceros. I also hear that students in my school are starting to learn Maya and other scripting design softwares. AutoCAD is used sometimes. But I mostly work on Rhinoceros and work on my drawings on Adobe Illustrator. Most of us will learn how to render and use 3D fabrication at some point of our education, depending on your project needs.

Hand drawing is quite rare at school... which is kind of sad. We do have one hand sketching class taught by very adorable elderly professors! Some students also choose to incorporate hand drawings to their projects, but very rarely. We are quite reliant on computers.

Mar 30, 17 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Everyone I have ever worked with from Cal Ploy SLO has been top notch, and they loved the small college / beach  town vibe. 

Mar 31, 17 11:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: