Archinect
anchor

Digital Architecture- SCI-Arc vs. University of Michigan

How does the M.Arch2 Graduate program at Taubman College of Architecture compare to that of SCI-Arc.

Which program offers an overall development of for an International applicant? 

And also does the Idea of a State funded university versus a privately funded college make any sort of short term or long term difference for a student?

Mar 29, 17 3:35 pm
jk2k

Not sure what "digital architecture" means these days, but I would say UMich shines for digital fabrication (robotics, 3D printing, etc) workflows, with a very nice shop. Then again, that comes with a price tag... if you don't care about working with robots, you still have to pay for it. I haven't seen Sci-Arc's shop.

No real difference in teaching quality private Vs. public - there are some very well-funded, or well-managed, public schools. The main difference between schools is more personal than general - is your professor a person who can help you get connected to and prepared for the side of the profession you would like to enter? Research the faculty at each school you're interested in, and see if their work and personality appeal to you.

Mar 29, 17 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Both have lots of facilities for fabrication. I think UMich has pulled away lately though. The program at Michigan is a little more balanced between west coast and east coast ideas. If you go there you don't have to focus on fabrication or scripting. SCI-Arch is a little more heavily about that, and is the epitome of west coast design approach. 

I'm biased but I like UMich better. Funding is a big issue too, and generally I think Michigan comes out on top. If you are in state it's much cheaper, but given that you are international both schools probably would cost similarly. The difference is that in my experience UMich gives a lot more scholarship money, but that's a matter of your offers from them. 

Mar 30, 17 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
divyanshagarwal

Thanks for replying JK2k and natematt, but I am really worried about the fact that SCIArc not being a University. The fact that its just an independent school makes me question the credibility it will offer me after joining. 

Mar 31, 17 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
ASarchi

Hie Divyanshagarwal ,what were your  GRE and TOEFL scores?? Please do help  as  i am  applying next year in Fall2018

Mar 31, 17 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
divyanshagarwal

@A Sarchi, hi, my scores were decent, 308 and 110 GRE and TOEFL respectively.

Apr 2, 17 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: