Archinect
anchor

How to create portfolio for M arch, unrelated BS degree

Umnh19

I will graduate with a bachelors in biological science but I am really interested in architecture. How do I go about creating a portilfio since my major did not prepare me to make one? I am only a spring semester sophomore, is it worth changing my major to architectural studies? I know my GPA won't be great (~2.9) with biology major but I think it could be a lot better with a different major. I only have minimal major requirements done so I didn't waste too many classes if I do switch now. Which degree is worth more?

Mar 28, 17 10:20 am
Non Sequitur

... I don't think you understand what switching to architecture means. You'll likely start from zero if you're switching to an accredited architecture degree and that stellar 2.9 GPA will be stressed given the increased difficulty of the discipline.

Mar 28, 17 10:32 am  · 
 · 
zeushimself

If this is something you are seriously considering then I would work on increasing your GPA and begin working on personal projects to create a portfolio. Apply to a 3 - 3.5 year Masters with your degree.

Mar 28, 17 10:54 am  · 
 · 
3tk

I did it (and my GPA was about there sophomore year, got it up above 3.2 by the time I graduated).  Took photography and drawing classes on the side, used what I learned to study spaces and create images for a portfolio.

Mar 28, 17 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Iwata

if you are seriously with architecture, go with 3.5 year master programs. takes more time and costs more money. but if you really want architecture, it is probably the best way. most of people follow this path hold non-architecture undergraduate degrees. are you still going to school now? if yes, take some beginning and fresh architecture courses at your school if they allow you to do so. those courses will give your more sense and orientation about architecture than other photography and drawing classes. don't get me wrong. photography and drawing are great and help a lot in architecture, but architecture classes will bring you closer and provide more insights to the profession. i have witnessed many people dropped out just because they had pictured architecture way too romantic. studios and reality are harsh. however, many without architecture experience before are absolutely great. good luck!

Mar 28, 17 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: