Archinect
anchor

MBA after B. Arch

Mustafashabbir
Hi,
I am an architect with 5 year B. Arch degree and have my own firm. I wanted to ask is MBA degree helpful for me. If yes then what specific subjects.

Mar 27, 17 3:31 pm
Non Sequitur

Maybe, it depends. How's business in your office?

Mar 27, 17 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Nickk2017's comment has been hidden
Nickk2017

Hi,

You have answer in your question itself, if you want to do B.arch or you are going to do B.arch so three years of your bachelor get toatlly waste. I dont think it a good decision but if have intrest in that and you thoght that you must be succeded in that you may go with that.

But my personal suggestion to with MBA it is a good field once you get admission you must have intrest in that, and more of that if you choose B.arch you may reuire to have MBA degree again or M.arch degree so anyhow you need to have masters.

so just take some good MBA entrance test like:-

CAT
MAT
XAT
NMAT
CMAT

if you clear that and get admission like IIMs, MDI, S.P Jain should go with that otherwise go with your choice.

All the best

MAGNETIC SCIENCE FUN

Mar 28, 17 3:07 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  Good luck deciphering the above post.

Mar 28, 17 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

I have a B. Arch and an MBA. While many architects run successful businesses w/o a degree in business, an MBA can be useful in giving you broader perspective on how to improve your firm's performance. An MBA also can be useful in helping you understand your client's motivations. In my experience, many clients take comfort in knowing that you understand business and can speak their language.

However, over the course of my career I found that my MBA was much more helpful in opening doors to real estate development opportunities. 

Do you "need" an MBA -- probably not. Can it prove beneficial -- definitely yes.

But, pursuing such a degree comes with a cost. It can be very demanding to attend a night MBA program while also running a business. And, taking off 1-2 years to attend a resident MBA program causes you to lose a lot of regular income. Be sure the potential benefits warrant the sacrifices you'll need to make.

If you do decide to go forward, look for a school that offers solid courses in real estate, the management of service businesses, operations management, personnel management, marketing and finance.

Mar 28, 17 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Mustafashabbir
@quizzical
Thanks for sharing you experience. I hope i will help me to take a right decision. Thank you
Mar 29, 17 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

my wife recently finished an MBA. I think most MBA programs are geared towards placement in a) corporations, finance, consulting, or b) potentially startups. My impression is that you will find zero other architects there unless the university has a dual degree program. Then you might find a couple, but they are probably getting their MBA to get out of architecture and into real estate, not start their own practice.

I think some classes would be very useful. Many would not be.

Maybe you would make useful connections there, but I don't know.

Mar 30, 17 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: