Archinect
anchor

Becoming an Architect with a criminal background

Blazedell

So I'm wondering if i could become a Building Architect with a sex offense on my record? I'm currently 22. I got charged when I turned 18 and have been told my whole time on parole that i was charged as a minor (which is when my offense happened) but recently found out that that I wasn't. I'm basically wondering if I have wasted the last four years of my life perusing this profession or if there is anything I can do to move forward? I really love designing and using the AutoCAD program so if there is anything i can do to continue in this profession then i would be more than happy to do so. Any help is much appreciated, Thank You.

Mar 27, 17 2:49 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 15 Comments

Featured Comment
kjdt

A past conviction won't necessarily keep you from getting licensed as an architect.  Some states do have blanket laws that prevent anyone with a felony from being eligible for a license, while other states leave it at the discretion of the board to address any criminal record on a case by case basis.  In a state where they can exercise independent judgement, a long ago incident for which you have met sentencing conditions may be determined to be irrelevant to your current fitness to practice.  On the other hand, the boards are supposed to reject anyone who is not of "sound character" - so they have a lot of leeway to go either direction.

Usually you have to report any convictions on your license application, and update this on renewal forms.  They typically want to know anything - even misdemeanors other than minor traffic tickets.  If you do get licensed in one state, this could still prevent you from getting reciprocal licensing in some others.

The larger problem in terms of your career is that there are many types of architectural projects for which routine background clearances are required just to set foot on a client's premises - such as schools, day cares, some government buildings, even my local utility company requires a background check for any of our employees who need to get beyond the lobby.  If your employer can't send you to field measure a school or to a meeting at a client's office, that may limit the type of roles for which you can be hired or advance to. 

If I were you I'd pursue with your attorney why this wasn't treated as a juvenile offense and whether there's anything that can be done about that at this point. 

Mar 27, 17 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

This is a very helpful and accurate post, kjdt. Blazedell, listen to this post.

Mar 27, 17 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

An interesting question:  Is this one of those situations where you would be better off without a license?  Does a licensed architect have to disclose his criminal record to a client?  Would an unlicensed "designer" be ignored since he would be off the government's radar screen?

Mar 27, 17 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

The OP hasn't mentioned anything about conditions restricting him from coming in contact with minors. Three's nothing to suggest that the offense involved a minor. While any sex offense on his record will pose a problem if he's working on anything for which a background check is required, private residential design isn't necessarily going to require any disclosure of his background to anybody, and engaging in residential design isn't necessarily going to put him in a situation where he's violating any conditions.  He hasn't disclosed enough information that anyone can jump to the conclusion that he has any such conditions imposed upon him.

Mar 27, 17 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Conditions may only apply while the offender is on probation. It depends on the type of crime and the sentence and the state. Too many factors to generalize. The offender is not always the older person. You really should not generalize. Without more information there's no way to say what the crime was exactly, or what conditions are imposed on this individual.

Any criminal record will usually keep someone from working on a project in a school setting.  Residential is a different story. Residential construction in particular is full of ex cons. 

Mar 27, 17 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Again, you're basing your comments on conjecture, and on general unfamiliarity with many states' laws. I am aware that some states have laws about distances in feet that paroled sex offenders must stay from children - but in many other states these kinds of restrictions have been determined to be illegal and unenforceable. For instance in many states conditions of parole or probation cannot prevent sex offenders from entering a school if they have a child who attends it, or from being at a school bus stop on a public street, or from being at various places frequented by children - and conditions about where the registered sex offender may live can only apply while that person is on parole or probation. In any case, residential firms rarely do background checks, and residential clients rarely ask any questions about criminal backgrounds. And fyi: NCBDC does not ask about or require any information whatsoever on an applicant's criminal background. That's just one more way in which that NCBDC designation lacks in signifying any sort of vetting of candidates.

Mar 28, 17 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Richard CPBD is a joke. The few jurisdictions that experimented with accepting it as a qualification for performing design services on small projects have almost all backed off on that because of poor results. It's a vanity certification - people with a few hundred dollars to burn and low enough self-esteem that they will pay to take an easy exam to buy themselves a certificate that doesn't actually entitle them to do anything.

Apr 1, 17 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Fivescore

The CPBDs designing homes are doing so in places that don't require any certification to design a home. So whether they design homes better than or worse than an architect is entirely irrelevant - they could do the same thing with no certification. The CPBD certificate does nothing for them - it's just a money-making scheme preying on people like you.  You're doing a lot of free advertising for what basically amounts to a snake oil sales operation.

Apr 1, 17 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Architects obtain licenses because licenses are required to work on most project types. CPBDs obtain certifications for the same reason that people buy vanity license plates.

Apr 1, 17 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

You are fine don't worry as long as you are not a felony you will get your license and if they tell you no get a professional occupational lawyer. I have gotten into trouble DWL driving back and forth to work when I was younger and have been doing nothing but researching about the subject. I have had lawyer pull up my background and told me yes you can get your architect's license as long as you never been to prison, once you go to prison your life is over. If you have your 4 year ...lucky you. I have done nothing except hone skills and I still can't get a job probably because of that 4 year thing....I am...however in a 4 program currently. Looking thru the courses I have to take I saw a structural steel and structural concrete courses...I love architecture and am currently designing a site cast concrete framing building and skyscraper...for fun of course..I just am trying to get it as detailed as I possible can columns, beams, and girders called out and everything.

Mar 27, 17 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

On second thought a sex offender......yeah......

Mar 27, 17 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

a lot of worthless musings above, kjdt is right.  

Plenty of firms don't do background checks. No one in retail or multi-family will care.  

Mar 28, 17 10:19 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Jan 5, 18 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Superfluous Squirrel

I've never had to undergo a background check and I have worked lots of places. So you can definitely get a job.

Mar 28, 17 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Depends.. Do you want to become a 'starchitect' always in the spotlight,  recognized all around the world with thousands interested in your life, googling your name and trying to learn about your background or just some regular architect most have never heard about nor will know about? 

Both is possible. 

Mar 28, 17 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Since nobody's asking...it's none of my business obviously, but what got you on that sex offenders list in the first place?

Mar 29, 17 10:42 am  · 
 · 
randomised

No responses from Blazdell, are there minor archinectors which made him going online violate some kind of parole restrictions or what?

Mar 30, 17 11:08 am  · 
 · 
randomised

So Blaze, did you finally get out?

Jan 5, 18 8:47 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It wasn't me resurrecting this perv thread by the way, user Blazeon has mysteriously dissappeared.

Jan 8, 18 3:45 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

what a click-bait! I wanted to see Lebbeus' mugshot!

Jan 5, 18 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Is being too sexy a crime?

Jan 5, 18 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

it hurts?

Jan 5, 18 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Yes, it hurts.... so good!

Jan 5, 18 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

i want to know what my chances are of becoming a criminal with an architectural background.... awaiting rick b's wall of text... 

Jan 5, 18 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

It is an unfortunate truth/fact that 1/3 of all living Americans have a criminal record, today.  33% folks.  That is who you deal with on a daily basis, you just don't know it.  So, to the OP, take the advice from kjdt, keep your head down, mouth shut and carry on like all the other professionals with criminal records.

I would also hire a lawyer.  If you committed a criminal act as a minor, it should not be on your adult record.  Unfortunately, data miners these days who do background checks may already have this information stored so even getting it appealed, it may still turn up. 

Jan 5, 18 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Rick seems to know way to much about this topic...."Scatching Chin."

Jan 6, 18 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: