Archinect
anchor

MFA / MArch - How much debt is it worth?

jston033

I have a BFA in Art History, Theory, and Criticism with a minor in architectural design from the Maryland Institute College of Art and with that I also have student debt. 

I applied to a lot of schools 1/2 for Architecture and 1/2 for interior design/interior architecture because I wanted to know the differences in funding plus I'm more interested in focusing on interiors even if I was to get my Masters in Architecture. 

I got accepted to every school but was shocked by the scholarships I received for architecture compared to interior design. It's basically down to two schools:

Parsons offered me 75% tuition covered for ID. Leaving me still with another 24k in loans.

CCA only offered me a need-based grant but told me that they would try to match Parsons offer- but it is not guaranteed. There is no way I could afford going if not and even if they do I would still be looking at about another 40k + in debt total. Which would get me suspiciously close to 100k in debt for both my degrees. 

I'm not sure any of it is even worth it anymore, even though turning down such a great offer from Parsons seems like something I would regret. 

Mar 27, 17 10:42 am
jston033

Note- CCA is 3 year / Parsons is 2 year

Mar 27, 17 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No degree is worth $50k in student debt... even less when it gets to 100+.

Take the cheapest M.Arch. You'll be able to do both architecture and interior design with that. The other way is not possible.

Mar 27, 17 10:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: