Archinect
anchor

Manitoba vs Carelton or Ryerson for M.arch program

smileandshine

Got acceptance from U of M for graduate Program M.arch waiting for other two

Anyone with any experience or insight on either or both?

I am an international student and i have family in Toronto. Really scared and confused about Manitoba because of weather. I am interested in getting quality education and working for few years but then eventually move back to India.

Is manitoba far better than ryerson or carelton ?

Among Ryerson and carelton which is better ?

Is winter really that brutal in Manitoba ?

How will you rank U of M in terms of Architectural education and TA/RA?

How are Job opportunities in Manitoba?

Any suggestion and advise would be highly appreciated

Mar 27, 17 1:29 am
bowling_ball

I can help with the Manitoba thing, as I did my Masters there not too long ago. Right now the faculty is in transition and it would not be my first choice. The education is good but the faculty will likely be joining the faculty of engineering over the next few years, which in my opinion, would be terrible for staff and students.

The weather shouldn't scare you off. Winters are long and cold, but summers are hot and dry and it's sunny all year long. There's lots to do.

For employment, this is where Manitoba has the real advantage. It's the only architecture school for several thousand kilometres. There are always job openings. The cost of housing is very inexpensive compared to Toronto or Ottawa. And because of the relative lack of competition, you will be better paid (again, relatively speaking). On the other hand, the quality and construction budgets we have to work with are nowhere near those of the other cities, with very few exceptions).

Mar 27, 17 1:55 am  · 
 · 
smileandshine

@bowling_ball Thanks a lot for you Input

I have already got rejection from Waterloo and Mcgill so i am not left with much choice.

So my only options are Manitoba, Ryerson and Carelton. How is U of M in terms of other two ?

Is it worth coming to Canada for U of M ?

Mar 27, 17 2:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Good one Bowling.

Damn, Indian foreign student in Winnipeg? That's the start of a great comedy movie. I've been to Winnipeg in te end of may and got caught in a blizzard.

Toronto has a large Indian community so RYU might be more sensible.
Mar 27, 17 6:38 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

That's a choice only you can make. I can only speak to my own experience, which was at only one school.

Mar 27, 17 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
smileandshine

Thanks Non

In another thread you have also mentioned about Carelton MArch. Lets leave the weather factor aside. How would you grade these three schools Manitoba, Ryerson and Carelton in terms of education, TA/RA and job opportunities after the program.

Mar 28, 17 1:21 am  · 
 · 
anudeepmummareddy

How is University of Calgary in comparison  with Manitoba, Ryerson and Carleton?

Nov 15, 18 7:29 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

They are all equally mediocre. It serves you a professional degree at the end and that’s it. Canada is huge, location matters more than the school’s reputation in this case.

Nov 15, 18 8:03 am  · 
 · 
anudeepmummareddy

is m.arch in the University of British Columbia for 3 years?

Nov 15, 18 10:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

yes, it's a 3y degree because it accepts all students, most without an existing architecture degree. Carleton might require the same.

Nov 15, 18 10:09 am  · 
 · 
anudeepmummareddy

Thank you for the instant replies bro!! Does the University of Toronto offer a 2-year M.arch program? I have McGill, Carleton, Calgary, Laurentian universities as my options. Do you think I need to make any changes?

Nov 15, 18 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No, UofT is a 3y deal. There are 11 schools in Canada that offer M.arch degrees (I think), so it's not that hard to look at each of their websites to see the structure of the degrees. Are you a foreign student?

Nov 15, 18 10:39 am  · 
 · 
anudeepmummareddy

Yes, I'm an international student. There are 12 universities that offer M.Arch. I had a doubt cause few universities clearly mentioned a 2 or 3-year program, whereas UoT mentioned their program length as 7 sessions. Is Laurentian University equivalent to other mediocre universities like Manitoba or Carleton?

Nov 15, 18 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The ranking of architecture schools in Canada is as follows:

1. Waterloo
  2. Waterloo
  3. McGill
  4. the others
  5. UofT & Laurentian

Since you're coming from outside the country, you'll likely need to do a 3y stint anyways and some schools, such as waterloo or McGill, might not be available to you.  Consider the city and school location equally.  It's a large country and winters in manitoba are no-where near the same as say...  british columbia,

Nov 15, 18 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
anudeepmummareddy

That is really helpful!! Thank you for your time.

Nov 15, 18 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

BC is still very big Ticky, but you’re right comparing Seattle to Vancouver, weather wise. The issue is not about BC, it is about the ball freezing cold winters of Winnipeg. It’s one helluva shock if you don’t know what you’re in for. As an aside, 12” of fluffy snow fell overnight here. Winter is here!

Nov 16, 18 6:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: