Archinect
anchor

How can I use the concept of form vs function (form follows function) in a teaching building?

whoknowsme

how can I use this term when talking about a teaching space?

Mar 26, 17 7:19 am
JeromeS

Drop out now, before you accrue more debt and waste your money. I can only assume you class occurs in a "teaching space"... good god, man!

Mar 26, 17 8:33 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

^I agree 

Mar 26, 17 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
What happened to our last project? We basically did all the hard work for you.
Mar 26, 17 10:50 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

make the room 3' wide so only the one student sitting in the front can see the teacher.  Early bird gets the worm model. 

Mar 26, 17 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

Classroom design is a thing. Read up.

Mar 26, 17 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
MrVSNET

Hmmmm.

A volcano has a lake in its burnt out hole. HOW did form follow function in this natural example, in a system superior to human urbanism?

My point is the "form follows function" MYTH is what is limiting your imagination.

Think how to demonstrate how form does not follow function first, then your original question will answer itself.

How you present it is up to you; you can argue it is a form follows function thing to not rock the boat, or like the lake in a volcanic bowl, you can argue the opposite even if arguing  to go with the flow.

Recall the technology once called "emergent technology", which is now "dominant global technology" in just 20 years, was developed by programmers, so keeping with the "business intelligence" model and its form following function hire a programmer for your architecture teams. In 4 years you will be glad you did, or in 4 years you will still be at square one.

Mar 26, 17 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Actually, Sullivan meant to say "Function follows form". He was a tad dyslexic.

I remember reading about a much-loved Beaux Arts building on a campus. It had been an administration building, a languages building, an architectural building, and engineering building, and back to being an administration building over the years. So much for being super-specialized.

Mar 27, 17 9:07 am  · 
 · 
no_form

example: balkins is a squat, round bellied man with wild frizzy neon hair.  we call this form a troll.  

Mar 27, 17 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Have you tried using architecture?

Mar 27, 17 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: