Archinect
anchor

USC or University of Maryland M. Arch 3+ help.

people

I have admitted both schools, USC and UM. USC BArch seems to have a good reputation due to Pritzker Prize Laureates. I don't know about USC school and I wonder if there is a huge gap between them. 

In moneywise, tuition of USC is higher per semester while 0.5 year less. after scholarship from USC, both tuition subtotals are close to 90K.

1. USC
MArch 3 / 6 semesters (17-18credits per semester/ total 102)
+ $21000/yr scholarship renewable ..idk if it's easy to maintain..
tuition $53000, after scholarship $32000

2. University of Maryland College Park
MArch B / 7 semesters (15credits per semester/ total 105)
no $, instate tuition $26000

I emailed to make an appointment with USC to visit prior to decision deadline.. It was Monday...no luck to hear from them yet.. I live in MD. My family live in both states, so I could get a little help even if I move to CA. I applied to US grad school after over 10yr from my college graduation oversea. Going to Grad school is a big decision for me. please help.

Any input would be appreciated!

Mar 24, 17 11:45 am
Leon_ordaz03

I got accepted to USC M.Arch 1 (2 yrs)...

I am visiting this Monday, but I fly out tomorrow from Florida.

Have you looked into Wes jones (Director of M.Arch)

and Qingyun Ma (Dean of SoA)?

If you like the direction they are taking the program, then take it. I only got 16k/yr, but then again, I am only going for 2yrs. 

Mar 24, 17 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
people

Thank Leon, I will look into them. I hope you enjoy the visit and post a review of USC for me and others. Any other schools are on your mind/consideration? 

BTW did you get a financial aid result from USC as well? I got a financial aid pkg from UMD soon after the acceptance announcement. Since it is my first time to apply for FAFSA, it is new for me.

Mar 24, 17 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
0W3N

I'd consider where you'd like to be after graduation.  If you want to work as an architect in LA (or anywhere in California) I definitely recommend USC.  As an architect working in LA, I know many USC graduates doing great work here.  I don't know anything about Maryland, or anyone who went there.  I'm sure it's a good school but you don't benefit from the strong local network of USC if you want to stay out west longer term.  And that USC network isn't just architects, many local developers & finance people also have USC ties.

Looking at the financials - bear in mind that cost of living in LA will also be higher than MD. 

I went to SCI-Arc for M.Arch, started 6 years after graduating undergrad.  Going back to school was absolutely the right decision for me, if that's any consolation.

Mar 24, 17 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: