Archinect
anchor

UBC or UofT

FakeFirm

Help me choose a school. What is the culture of both schools? Facilities (I know UofT will have a new building). Employability after graduation, notably internationally by top firms (US, Middle-east amongst others). CO-OP/Summer work opportunities during studies?   I'm a Canadian with a non-design background that has been offered admissioninto the Masters of Arch program at both schools. The tuition doesn't matter, and I've lived in both cities. I want to practice a bit but want to keep the option open to eventually leverage my education for more school. Hoping to not have to flip a coin.

Mar 22, 17 10:25 am

1 Featured Comment

All 6 Comments

Non Sequitur

How about you try the forum search option? Literally a million other people have asked the same question... and honestly, you should have done the research on the schools and profession prior to applying.

For non arch student, both schools are the same... although UofT graduate classes are always at a disadvantage due to their bottom-of-the-barrel fake architecture undergrad class getting a free entrance ticket to the masters. It waters down the student pool quite significantly.

Also, Vancouver wins over Toronto every time.

Employment prediction post grad is a dumb way to look at things. How well you do in the real world is 100% dependant on the skills you bring to an office, not the name on your degree.

Mar 22, 17 11:05 am  · 
 · 
FakeFirm

Yeah I used the search and all I got was the vomit you spew on every compare X to U of T post. Thanks for your comments but no thanks. Not sure why you have this vendetta against U of T, but please keep that to yourself. 'literally a million?' 'bottom-of-the-barrel?' 'fake?' dont know why you are so butthurt

Mar 22, 17 11:17 am  · 
1  · 
archietechie's comment has been hidden
archietechie

Don't mind him, probably got a stick up on his ass the whole time since bachelors.

That said, welcome to the forum.

Mar 22, 17 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur's comment has been hidden
Non Sequitur

No stick, just a decent amount of experience with Canadian school grads. Stick to being afraid of non-white people Archie.

Mar 22, 17 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Nah...more afraid of the prickly dude who's angry over his impotence as the world whizzes past him.

Mar 22, 17 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur's comment has been hidden
Non Sequitur

Impotence? There was legitimate comment in my original response to the OP despite the snark. Stop drag your Trump supporting attitude to every post.

Mar 22, 17 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Dat ignorance. Secondary definition to Impotence - Inability to take effective action. I.e. used in the above context where it's suggested you're just an angry and irrelevant old man cussing because of "experience". "Experience" obviously didn't get you far.

Don't know what Trump's got to do with any of this.

Mar 22, 17 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If you spent a minute in this profession, you would understand.

Mar 22, 17 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

@bizzauch- more people have heard of U of T within international offices. I know because I  in Europe. Which school is better- I do not know. U of T has close connections to GSD- that might help if you want to continue your education after. As for UBC- i know nothing of that school so I cannot tell your which is "better"

@ Non Sequitor- you sound like a super aggressive Russian troll- chill out. 

Mar 22, 17 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Ofcourse, more people would've heard of U of T. Toronto is a big metropolitan, like NYC or Chicago. But if you asked them something about U of T, they probably couldn't tell you anything besides Frank Gehry having attended it decades ago . xD

Mar 22, 17 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Russian troll? that's a new one.

Mar 22, 17 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
accesskb

Anyone who've had considerable work experience in this field will tell you that it doesn't matter which school you choose.  Both are fairly good schools.  It will depend on what you do there. Its grad school so unlike undergrad, you will be quite independent in how you structure your studies and what direction you take it. 

Mar 22, 17 3:34 pm  · 
1  · 
FakeFirm

I really appreciate your reply. What then in your personal opinion would be the difference between a school like UBC, and GSD?

Mar 22, 17 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

@bizzauch- if you look at the academic timetables for both UBC and U of T and then look into the work of the profs themselves that might help you decide which school speaks to your interests.

Mar 22, 17 4:40 pm  · 
1  · 
FakeFirm

Thanks for your reply. Looks like that's what I'll be doing for the next week.

Mar 22, 17 9:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: