Archinect
anchor

First license questions

Onthepathtoarchitect

HI everyone I am intending to apply for license and registration in both NJ and NY. I started with NY bc that is my current Residence and was intending to move to NJ in the next year or so. However, my license application was rejected here in NY for not fully meeting their experience requirements. Should I go ahead and still apply for my licence in NJ, whose requirements are slightly different and I may not have this issue? I do have a place of residence in NJ with my parents and am there part of every week. Thanks for the help

Mar 22, 17 10:30 am
Non Sequitur

Maybe your parents can call the NY license board and complain... or... finish up those experience points.

Mar 22, 17 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Onthepathtoarchitect

Thanks for the snark. I'm not trying to skirt experience, just wondering If there was value in getting my license. I have occasionally received requests for work in NJ.

Mar 22, 17 11:53 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

What does your being in NJ with your parents every week have to do with your experience?

Mar 22, 17 11:14 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

With only 2 exceptions, you don't need to live in a state to get licensed there.  If there's some purpose for you to be licensed in NJ then go ahead and do it - but you could do the same in almost any other state, and it doesn't make any difference whether your parents have an address there or you spend any time there at all.

NY has some unique experience requirements that differ from those of other states - for instance you have to have 3 years of experience earned after graduation, and if any of the experience you're reporting was earned in firms located in NY then the board checks whether those firms are properly incorporated in the state, and they reject your experience if they weren't.  Other states don't tend to use the licensing process to the extent that NY does as a means to catch and fine firms.

If you get the NJ license first then you can apply for reciprocity in NY once you meet their experience requirements.  But do you have an actual reason to need a license in NJ? If not then don't waste the money on application fees, NCARB transmitttals, and annual dues.

Mar 22, 17 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Onthepathtoarchitect

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. I'm not trying to skirt around getting the experience, I just didn't know if there was a point to getting licensed in another state earlier, aside from being able to call myself an architect (though I couldn't technicall call myself that in NY I am guessing).

Mar 22, 17 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Onthepathtoarchitect

And I was worried about losing my exams but also found out that once completed entirely it's fine and they don't invalidate

Mar 22, 17 11:55 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

There could be a point for getting licensed in another state earlier if you are currently job-hunting - because having a license anywhere may put you on a higher rung in what type of positions you'll be considered for and for salary.  There also may be a point if you actually intend to practice in that state or have any prospects for projects there anytime soon. 

If neither of those situations apply then if I were you I'd just wait.  Otherwise you're spending several hundred dollars in transmittal and application fees and dues, just to be able to call yourself an architect a few months or a year earlier.

Mar 22, 17 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

only get a license where you need it, paying money to state boards and ncarb sucks.

Mar 22, 17 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: