Archinect
anchor

hiring a drafter

no_form

all,

i need to hire 2 drafters.  any criteria you've used before when selecting potential hires?  any traits you find in drafters that make them worth their money? 

thanks

Mar 21, 17 6:10 pm
MyDream

I am very interested in seeing what you guys think. As many of you know I am in this field and have had some good and bad things said about me. I would think the person should be able to render, animate, make full sets, know many different software including 3ds max(v-ray), Revit, AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture, sketch up ( to provide renders in many different platforms), Photoshop, office word, be wanting to complete or further their education in architecture, knowledgeable about construction methods and processes, codes, have at least a two year degree, flexible, willing to work long overtime hours without pay, hungry, eager, willing to learn, and know about the different professions in the field. 

Mar 21, 17 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Sigh, Mydream you need to chill. Maybe try smoking some pot or something. You can't be everything and be good at anything. Relax and know your strengths and weaknesses. Sell your strengths learn to account for your weaknesses.

Mar 21, 17 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Chill, I am unemployed, now is the time for action and conversation. Pot......no comment... Strengths and weakness I use all of these software everyday and hone these skills constantly. When you are unemployed and can't find a job you work on your skill set. In my case is over extending myself in many different areas. My weakness is probably getting someone to act like they have some sort of decency and hire someone(me) who clearly deserves a position somewhere. I also got some problems on the job, but nothing that practice will not cure, but no job no practice. I am trying to go out on my own because of this very reasons, but I have a insurmountable task ahead of me with a past holding me back.

Mar 21, 17 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

It is truly an insurmountable task given that attitude. You need to own your own weakness not put it off on others. It is ok to say you don't know something. Even the most seasoned architect encounters issues frequently that they cannot answer. To be successful you must realize your weakness early and except it. It's ok to not know every software. It's ok to not know everything. It's ok to not have extensive experience. But you must except your weakness before you will ever convince anyone you are capable of surmounting them. People will hire you if you are really good at just a few things and capable of learning others to the same degree of proficiency.

Mar 21, 17 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Have you ever tried to cold call someone? It is very hard to get thru more or less get to the principal. I have been able to get a lot of leads, but no bite, I got a firm to say they will try me out when they get a project in the works, which was a while ago. When it comes to not knowing everything my skills are not at the top level, but I am good enough or how can I say professional enough. I do get it to not know every thing, but I quite frankly don't care. I need to overextend or I am just another run of the mill and for me without an architect license, minority, and people who just don't care I must overextend or stick out my hand to finish the race line ahead to stand out. About the "People will hire you if you are really good at just a few things and capable of learning others to the same degree of proficiency." I disagree I never got a job this way or even made it pass the door. When I tell all I know I get hired or an interview, the last time I got a job the principal overturned a 4 interview process and hired me right out of the door, compared to someone just ignoring you.

Mar 21, 17 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I feel your pain man. I was there once. Cold calling never worked for me. Always had better luck responding to adds or job posts or later in my career leads from friends and network of former colleagues and people I had worked with on projects.

Mar 21, 17 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I will have to just keep going until things turn around.

Mar 22, 17 1:36 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

unemployed in this market? are you a leper?

Mar 22, 17 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Don't keep doing what you are doing with the expectation that the results are going to change. That's the literal definition of insanity. Find a different job, in a related field. Work construction, building maintenance, wash windows, cut lawns anything other than continuing to hunt for drafting jobs, and wasting your time with dream house designs. You are not adding relevant experience and the longer you do that the more you dig yourself into a hole. I sent you a PM I hope you got it and can find some inspiration in the story.

Mar 22, 17 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

This would be a very expensive "drafter". I would imagine that this person needs to go to the next step and focus on getting an accredited architectural degree. Basic drafter requirements vs overpriced drafter capabilities expecting architect salary.

Mar 23, 17 9:14 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

leper....I think so because I can't find a job at even at an entry level. Things are bad and have been for a while I have worked at an architecture firm though, but it just hasn't worked out. I am just intensifying my portfolio and hoping to gain a client one day. Working low level jobs has been just as bad and it has been for others. Did you know that people who have GSD degree's have had trouble finding work at Wal-Mart or even a pizza delivery boy? Sometimes you just can't find a job so as a response I have started three new projects: Turning my D2 model into a skyscraper, a hotel and a modern mix building with full documents and visuals. A employer won't give a damn, but a custom home client might be impressed enough to choose me as a designer. I am finding the problems with animations since getting adobe after effects and I am getting better. Lastly I am getting calls from clients I just got another this morning asking for my portfolio for a new custom home. I have gotten a lot of those and they just flow away no serious clients.

Mar 25, 17 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I don't mind sharing I have read plenty of horror stories in life and on this forum. This is the email I got: Hello, Please provide the samples you are talking about. Also how many hours do you think approximately it takes you to put together a full set of architectural drawings? Thanks

Mar 25, 17 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I think all of the good drafters who have ever worked for me were quite. But knew when to ask questions. They knew themselves. It's a quite confidence and happiness that you are looking for. Someone who clearly takes pleasure in the task at hand and finds reward for a job well done, no matter how mundane, and they find happiness in perfection at the unseen scale. 

Mar 21, 17 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

Thanks Jonathan.  Interesting, I can anecdotally relate.  One of the best drafters I met was very quiet and very meticulous who produced beautiful drawings.  

MyDream: if you have construction drawings you can usually pick up a job easily enough.  proof of being able to produce is a good sign.  also, a reference would be helpful.  

Mar 22, 17 11:15 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

I have three references, and full sets of drawings as well. I am designing stock plans and I have completed three of them and almost done with the fourth. The designs are cape cod, modern shed roof, English cottage, colonial, and I have many more sketches that need to be brought into the next phase, which would be design development(without the consultants until I get client, I have an engineer). I still haven't got a job it...for me, it has been a rough road. I designed 1,700-2,000 sqft homes...I have designed about 9 of them, but only 3 have full sets. I started designing 2,000-3,000 sqft homes...a Victorian, a colonial, and another plan that I altered. I have a beautiful New American I want to progress, but I have too much work and research to do to start another one I am strapped. I don't think I am going to get a job..I will probably not get the job I am not the only one......there are a lot of people who don't get jobs. I was listening to a podcast about a team who started on their own because of this very reason and I need to follow suite. I need to go from ignored employee to direct competition for clients. I think I found a way to pay for the remaining four courses I need to get my Articulated Pre-Major: Architecture and then I might transfer to UF.

Mar 22, 17 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

O yeah I am designing kitchens as well

Mar 22, 17 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

you're only doing stock house plans. and you have no client, or it sounds to me like no office experience. you also do not have a degree or many years of education. all three of these things are holding you back from getting an entry level job.

Mar 22, 17 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I do have a degree, the Articulated Pre-Major: Architecture will be my second degree not my first. I had to stop my second early because of funding..so I went to my bachelor's instead. The second degree(Articulated Pre-Major: Architecture) has just four more courses and I'm done and give me first rights into transfer into third year b arch anywhere in us. I have no marketing experience at all......the time I did spend in an architecture firm was as a draftsman.

Mar 22, 17 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i agree it is likely almost impossible to get a job without a degree, i wouldn't even try.  What is holding you back from that?  Borrow what you need for school and get it done.  You're wasting your life otherwise.

Mar 22, 17 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I know you guys are smart.....please read the post.

Mar 22, 17 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

"transfer into third year b arch anywhere in us." so you don't have a degree.

Mar 22, 17 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Mar 22, 17 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

1. A.S degree in architectural and building technology..................................................I have this degree from (DSC)

2. Articulated Pre-Major: Architecture.........(Valencia College).....................four more courses to graduation. If I finish the four courses I am gong to transfer to get a b arch somewhere.(FIN AID problem)

3. I am in a bachelor's in engineering technology (construction concentration)...(DSC)

Mar 22, 17 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

sounds like you have an associates degree and then bits and pieces of a 4 year degree you hope to roll into a 3rd year US b.arch program. either way...you're still in school. employers here need someone who is done with school. whether that degree is in architecture or engineering technology is open to proving experience and skills.

Mar 22, 17 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

That's what I'm getting at. Maybe fin aid has changed since I graduated, but I had no money at all the entire time i was in school, borrowed a shit ton both for school and living expenses.

Mar 22, 17 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Yeah you don't get the fin aid system. I have too many credit to try and get another 60 credit degree. If you work towards a 60 credit degree and get 60 credits and try to get another 60 credit degree fin aid will cut your funding.Good Standing: To be in good standing you must satisfy all of the following elements of the policy: 1.Successful Completion Ratio: Earn 67% or above of cumulative credits attempted, combining all Daytona State College attempted credits and all attempted transfer credits added to the Daytona State College transcript (including all developmental/remedial credits). By already having so many credits I am out of the 67% completion rate before I even walk in the door of the school, a bachelor's which is like 120 credits puts me in the good academic standing.

Mar 23, 17 8:22 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i would like to respond to this but the barely comprehensible writing style makes that difficult. In the end it doesn't matter, the point is a degree, any degree, will leave you better off in the future.

Mar 23, 17 8:33 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

I re read it and it is not that bad I missed one s on credit in the second sentence the rest is readable. The financial aid system is confusing and they have crazy hard to understand rules that anyone would have trouble understanding. Try reading this if I didn't dumb it down enough. Also this works for every school, university or whatever. https://www.daytonastate.edu/catalog/adm/standards_of_progress.html

Mar 23, 17 9:27 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

Here is another one https://www.daytonastate.edu/catalog/finaid/standards_of_progress.html

Mar 23, 17 9:29 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

I agree having a degree does get you to be able to at least ask for some type of job, entry level at least. No one is going to care about you trying to get it and will more than likely ignore your resume though.

Mar 23, 17 9:39 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Who needs a degree to do drafting.  If yOu can draft well you can draft well.  Stop looking for a job if its not getting you anywhere.  Start a business and offer drafting as needed to small firms and sole props.  You will work less and make more.  Thats assuming u can draft.  

Mar 22, 17 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Thank You Sir....,Mr. jla-x

Mar 22, 17 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

You don't, but getting the AS degree first, then work for a few years when money may be tight and no financial aid forthcoming for a $30-$40k/year school is a clear path to eventually having an accredited architectural degree.

Mar 23, 17 9:17 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

only thing you need to look for in a drafter is speed and accuracy

Mar 22, 17 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

and does not explode texts, arrows and component blocks

Mar 23, 17 8:59 am  · 
 · 
3tk

AutoCAD certification (that they bothered to get one)

Ability to meet deadlines (references)

Traits: quiet, understands construction, good learner, takes criticism, hard worker (not sitting around texting, personal internet use, etc), handles stress well, analytical thinker

Mar 28, 17 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
AndrewEb

Best way to go is outsourcing your drafting process. I was actually reluctant given that sometimes I like to micromanage my shizz. But i gave it a try. Best decision. You pay less, the job gets done and i can see the progress from time to time. 

Oct 23, 17 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: