Archinect
anchor

UVA vs SCI-Arc | M.Arch 1

audrey617

Hi everyone:)

I am an international applicant from Taiwan. Recently, I have been accepted to UVA and SCI-Arc for M.Arch 1 program. At this point, I am leaning towards UVA because they provide with a more traditional education and the option of enrolling in a landscape architecture studio. However, I am still struggling with some concerns and questions. I would greatly appreciate any information or advice you might be able to provide.

1. Jobs/ Internships
Do the following factors decrease the opportunity of finding jobs or internships in these two schools?
- UVA's location
- SCI-Arc's experimental nature in education

2. Safety Concerns
I have heard that it is not quite safe in downtown LA. Is it true?
How safe is it living in Charlottesville?

3. Facilities
How are the facilities in two schools? Do I need to pay extra money to access equipment such as laser cutting machines?

Any insights are welcome:)
Thanks for all the help!

Mar 21, 17 2:52 pm
Hiya! I'm currently finishing my second year of M.Arch I at SCI-Arc, so I can help answer a few things :)

First of all, downtown LA is like any other big city. Of course there is crime, of course there are areas to stay away from, but ultimately DTLA and the Arts District (where SCI-Arc is located) are active, vibrant neighborhoods full of restaurants, bars, museums, etc. and you'll be perfectly fine.

Re: our equipment -- laser cutting and CNC milling do not require additional costs outside of material, and 3D printing at the school is extra; however, the prices are cheaper than third party sources (of which there are many in the area). There are ABS, resin, powder, and paper printing options available. Additionally, many students purchase their own 3D printer -- I have one that cost approx $1000 with material, and it's been great, especially with all of the study models that are sometimes required.

There are loads of internship opportunities in LA. Some are paid, some aren't, but the networking and possibilities offered in LA are excellent. Go to school where you want to work -- that's the advice I received from my mentor. It's all about making connections and building relationships, so go where you think would be best for that.

You mentioned landscape architecture, so I'll quickly reply on that and say that that's not a focus at all at SCI-Arc. Some studios may require that you incorporate a level of landscape design, but the focus is ultimately on the building and its program.

Hope this helps! Good luck on your decision -- let me know if you have additional questions.
Mar 21, 17 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
audrey617

Thank you so much for your detailed reply:)

Mar 22, 17 5:11 am  · 
 · 
audrey617

Here is one more question I would like to ask: Does it really make a big difference to study in where you want to work?

How is UVA's reputation on west coast? Is it hard for a UVA student to find a job/ internship in LA? I really like UVA's program but I would like to work in LA after graduation.

Thank you for all the help!

Mar 22, 17 5:23 am  · 
 · 

It's really an individual approach, I think -- it's sensible because you spend, in this case, three years in a city working with people and faculty, making connections, that if you wanted to stay here, it would be a seamless transition after graduation -- that's all I mean by it.

I've honestly heard nothing re: UVA out here and know nothing of it myself, though it wasn't one I would've considered because I wouldn't like to live in VA (nothing against it, just not my preference) -- the only other schools discussed typically are local (UCLA, USC, and up north [Berkeley, Stanford]) or Ivy.  A lot of our faculty come from Ivy schools or similar caliber.

Mar 22, 17 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

Ultimately, it's about the program you want -- the classes, the approach, the faculty, etc.  I think that comes first.  I was living in LA already when I decided on SCI-Arc (over UCLA), so the 'living' situation was already easy for me.  I've lived here for five years now and spent three years working full-time and building my network before starting at SCI-Arc -- so that's the primary difference.

Mar 22, 17 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Visit LA and see if you like to sit in traffic before you make a decision. 

Mar 22, 17 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

You're almost never sitting in traffic because of the 18hr days in studio ;)

Mar 22, 17 4:36 pm  · 
1  · 
audrey617

Thank you for all the information you provided! It really helps a lot:)

I would like to hear more about UVA. Any advice is greatly appreciated:)

Mar 23, 17 5:08 am  · 
 · 
ArchBK22

@AshleyHasting I was wondering if you could comment of the cost per class? I was accepted to the M.Arch I program and now trying to break down the cost to see if attendance is possible. 

Tuition aside, how much would you say you spend on a studio or for outside material. You mentioned you bought a 3D printer, is that advised? Or can you chose your material of choice (Bass wood Etc.)

Living in LA can be pricey but did you find work around or ways to trim the fat?

Thanks

Mar 23, 17 9:12 am  · 
 · 

I'm not sure how to breakdown the cost per class aspect, per se -- SCI-Arc is a private institution, so the tuition is all-inclusive. The way the classes work is that you're either full-time or you're not attending. Each semester is prescribed for the first two years (M.Arch I) and then in third year you start vertical studios (whereby you preference which instructor you'd like to work with and, starting next year, based on your GPA and other criteria, you'll be placed within a studio) and thesis prep.

LA is expensive, but there is financial aid and also federal loans (I know, but it's unavoidable) for tuition coverage.  There are also work study jobs within the woodshop, library, print center, and TA positions with instructors, but I wouldn't say that having a 'full-time' job is possible.  Re: material, it ranges per semester really -- we have a student store where material is discounted, and if particular material (plywood, etc.) is required, Home Depot and other lumber suppliers are easy to find.

Mar 24, 17 2:35 am  · 
 · 
ArchBK22

That helps a lot, I figured you can make it as expensive or cheap as you want depending on how you live, build, etc.

Mar 24, 17 11:56 am  · 
 · 
ArchBK22

Loans for me are unavoidable but I was curious if SCI-Arc is willing to work with you for financial aid and are there opportunities to earn grants, scholarships throughout your time at the school?

Mar 24, 17 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I believe UVa just appointed a new landscape architecture dean. I live near Charlottesville, the crime there is a little higher than surrounding towns (which are extremely low) but not high at all.

Mar 23, 17 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

Hi audrey617

I just finished the M.Arch program at UVA last year.

1. Getting jobs or internships was never an issue for us (in my graduating class). Most of us worked at firms over the summer, and in between the fall and spring semesters we took advantage of the Externship program (work at a firm for a week or two before start of spring semester, or longer depending on how you spend your break). The Externship got me the job I have now, its a pretty valuable program. Anyway, I think we had more trouble getting to the job/internship (because we were all broke and travel can be expensive), but the community at the A-school is a close one so we asked each other for rides, sublets, etc. It worked out for us, I imagine it could for you too. 

2. Cville and the UVA grounds are safe, it's a beautiful town. On those late nights in studio though I suggest leaving the building with a friend, just to be safe. Or you can use the late night bus system that UVA provides I think its called SafeRide.

3. UVA is considered a private public school, private education at a public school price which is great. The cost of facilities is included in tuition I believe, and you have almost unlimited access to the resources and tech that you paid for. 

Within the A-school : Laser Cutters( you buy material to cut), 3d printers (you pay for material), Woodshop, Routers, etc. Don't feel confined to the A-school though, you can also explore all of the other resources/tech at the other colleges within UVA. 

There are some folks who can answer these question much better than I can though. Go to the UVA School of architecture site and email Betsy Roettger for Job/Internship questions, Melissa Goldman for facilities

Mar 23, 17 10:20 am  · 
 · 
pz1222

I was in the A-School at UVA during my undergrad. I am originally from the west coast, and I would say UVA has a reputation here, but definitely not as much as other more reputable schools in this area, mostly those in California. Unfortunately, I've come across others not in the architectural profession who have never heard of UVA, or know almost nothing about it. However, I think if you're interested in working in a global and diverse city such as LA, most of everyone in our profession should know UVA is a highly reputable school. I believe the reason for its lesser familiarity is due to Charlottesville being a smaller town and doesn't reach out nationally or internationally as much as you'd expect larger and more urban cities such as LA or NYC. But if you work for a firm with projects or offices around the country or world, you'll meet many others not from the west coast, but have graduated from the east coast or internationally.

Mar 23, 17 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: