Archinect
anchor

SCI-Arc vs. NewSchool of Architecture

sustainable8

Hi friends,

Somewhat new to Archinect here, so thanks for helping out a noob with a question that I'm sure has been asked here before (although I couldn't find much from searching). 

I was recently accepted into SCI-Arc's M.Arch 1 program, which is great news. However, as I'm sure anyone can guess, I'm not made of money and the amount of debt I would go into from attending this school for 3 years is scary. 

Therein led me to the NewSchool of Architecture and Design (NSAD) in San Diego. At first glance, this school seems like the San Diego equivalent at nearly half the price. The IPAL4 program (what I'm about to submit my application for) is essentially a M.Arch 1 program but with a year tacked on at the end for internships and ARE preparation to become licensed. Relatively speaking, this seems like a pretty sweet deal (and San Diego is very nice and has cheaper rent compared to Los Angeles). What am I missing here? Why should I attend SCI-Arc and not NSAD?

Thanks for your help!

Mar 17, 17 1:50 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 8 Comments

natematt

I don't know much about NSAD and my criticisms of SCI-arc are many.

However, I am very leery of any for-profit school, which NSAD is. That's all I really want to say. 

Mar 17, 17 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
sustainable8

I'd love to hear your criticisms of SCI-Arc if you don't mind sharing. I'm assuming you went to school there?

Mar 17, 17 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Plenty of those covered in recent threads. Try the search button mayhaps?

Mar 18, 17 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
sustainable8

Good call. Just wanted to hear what people had to say about NSAD really (which doesn't seem to be covered much here)

Mar 18, 17 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
sustainable8

Bump

Mar 18, 17 10:55 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Why don't people sort out their finances before applying so they don't need to come here and ask what to do??? Makes it all so much easier for everyone.

Mar 18, 17 11:08 am  · 
 · 
sustainable8

To be honest, i don't think at any point in my life I'll have my finances "sorted out"

Mar 18, 17 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

So SCi-Arc it is then . #Solved

Mar 18, 17 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
calebehly

Because we hope for some sort of reasonable scholarship?

Mar 18, 17 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It's like going to the real-estate agent to buy a house with only a lottery ticket for that nights draw in your wallet.

Mar 19, 17 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

"It's like going to the real-estate agent to buy a house with only a lottery ticket for that nights draw in your wallet." funniest thing i've heard today.

Mar 22, 17 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
martin8smith

I'd like to hear what people say about NSAD

Mar 18, 17 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
martin8smith

drumpf

Mar 22, 17 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I don't like it.

Mar 22, 17 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

chigurh

I graduated from there

Mar 22, 17 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Ha! When?

Mar 22, 17 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Mar 22, 17 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: