Archinect
anchor

Is it me or is architecture in the UK really boring?

AKATO

Forgive me, I'm only a part 1 graduate but it's under my impression that London's architecture scene is lacking in imagination and variety.

Just looking at the kinds of practices out there, and comparing it to other places (US/Europe - although mainly US, I have to admit), I'm kind of struck by how much more... common-sense and down to Earth the UK architecture scene is currently. 

Especially the practices here. Even the younger up-and-coming practices have twitter descriptions that frequently harps on about 'clients', 'listen', 'collaborate', 'planning'. Where are the Bureau Spectaculars, the Space Caviars, the... I don't know, someone give me another name. I am getting the feeling that here the discourse on architecture has taken a heavy right hand turn for the contextual, socially responsible, and almost Christopher-Alexander levels of yawn.

For a city that is often on the edge of culture it seems like architecture is on a leash. Of course, to each their own but it's just not something that I'm interested in. Unfortunately in my foreseeable prospects I am stuck on this small island with the rest of these lunatics. Can someone prove me wrong? Am I just not looking in the right places? 

I'm really just sick of everyone harping on about their house extensions with an amazing glass skylight that miraculously got planning permissions.

Mar 17, 17 12:04 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 11 Comments

Bench

Holy fuck. That's about all I can say.

Mar 17, 17 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

What are you looking for? The Gherkin is literally a giant phallus in the middle of London, its imaginative!

Mar 17, 17 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
AKATO

Been looking for that giant floating clitoris in the sky.

Mar 17, 17 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

maybe you need to travel and try living in other cities.  I thought modern architecture in UK is hella interesting compared to US or more conservative countries with a million regulations and hurdles.

Mar 18, 17 4:47 am  · 
 · 
AKATO

Good idea if money wasn't a problem, interns don't get paid them do they. Any UK architect will tell you about nightmares with planning - not sure how it is compared to the US though.

Mar 18, 17 9:41 am  · 
 · 
TED

Perhaps it is you, @AKATO that are making it boring. :-)

Mar 18, 17 5:13 am  · 
 · 
AKATO

My powers only go so far.

Mar 18, 17 9:58 am  · 
 · 
archinet

Bureau spectacular- interesting as the work is predominantly only does academic type of works. That "office" does not survive financially off its work, it get its money from teaching. There is Sam Jacob http://www.samjacob.com/ he has managed to build buildings in his former office FAT architecture.

@Akato its very difficult to build buildings and earn a living in a studio such as FAT architecture- I am even surprised they managed to get the comissions they got. As for US architecture- overall it is much worse then the UK, simply because of the lower building standards and probably lower budgets. Its true there are more paper architects in the US but that is because it is more difficult for academic architects in the US to get any commissioned projects at all. As a result they tend to publish paper architecture type of work. 

Mar 18, 17 5:52 am  · 
 · 
AKATO

Thanks for being the first to give a good example - I agree. I also think there are plenty of people who are active in academia and also have built work (looking at some GSAPP/GSD lecturers - although a lot seems to be actively building in Europe...).

Mar 18, 17 9:42 am  · 
 · 
randomised

There's boring shite everywhere if you don't know where to look.

Mar 18, 17 8:58 am  · 
 · 
AKATO

Any pointers then?

Mar 18, 17 9:46 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Nope, it's all up to you to discover, otherwise you will either not understand nor respect it.

Mar 18, 17 11:04 am  · 
 · 
borispmchan

If you compare that to the Netherlands, yes things tend to be more practical and sensible in the UK. But if you find the big smoke boring, I'm pretty sure you'd rather work in Dubai

Mar 18, 17 9:03 am  · 
 · 
AKATO

Netherlands is a good example. Who exactly is stirring up big smoke in the UK?

Mar 18, 17 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
borispmchan

The Londonscape's still exciting, all those "regeneration" projects going on, think someone mentioned the Gherkin above, the Shard, City Hall, the-what-seems-to-be-work-in-progress Lloyds, Tate Modern etc. She may not be in her heyday (IMO post-war brutalist council houses in London are the most peculiarly designed buildings ever), but it's still far from "boring".

Mar 18, 17 10:09 am  · 
 · 

I can't help but think your idea of boring might be someone's idea of subtle.  Also not every architectural project needs to be the star attraction, sometimes there are more important things to focus on than the building.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 18, 17 11:10 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
Architects are on a leash everywhere.
Mar 18, 17 11:36 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

You want interesting? Try China!

Soulless starchitecture/corporate architecture juxtaposed w/ under developed infrastructure everywhere! 

Mar 18, 17 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: