Archinect
anchor

The new path for young designers ..

ALDAVIS

First, I want to say that 4-5 years ago I came to archinect for advice about going into M. arch programs having not studied for a B.arch .. and now I am finishing my M. arch this semester at USC...how time flies ..

my question is about the nature of the career job mobility of the designer/architect, and in what ways can one have a career that involves moving every 3-5 years ? Is this a feasible idea ? Is a designer expected to stay at one firm for a long time in order to progress to a point where they can establish their own ideas? How many projects should you have seen through before it is smart to leave a firm ? How can I prepare myself to be mobile and to work in different cities/countries ?

finally, having just got back from visiting Manhattan, I think it would be very nice to live and work there. I talked to a friend just out of b. arch who just started working there, and he says it takes experience to find work in NYC. I do not have much experience, how could one manage to find work in the city after getting experience elsewhere ? Is it worth it just to move there and find work instead of finding work first?  

Mar 16, 17 5:58 pm
Duchess

If you can afford to move there first and then find a job, do it. It also helps to look for a job while you're moving so it becomes a bit less of a hassle.

Mar 16, 17 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
makingspace

you went to USC?  they have an amazing alumni network.  you should be fine finding a job in new york.  

Mar 16, 17 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: