Archinect
anchor

M.Arch Program Choices

arch808

I’m considering the following programs in this relative order of preference right now:

1. Berkeley (accepted, applied for 2-year advanced standing but haven’t heard yet about that)

2. Pratt (accepted, 2-year advanced standing program, $15,000 scholarship/year)

3. MIT (haven’t heard yet)

4. Architectural Association, London (accepted, Emergent Technologies Program, 16 months)

5. UC Denver (accepted, 2-year advanced standing program)

6. UCLA (accepted, 3-year program)

7. U. Michigan (accepted, 3-year program, $15,000/year scholarship)

8. Cal Poly Pomona (haven’t heard yet)

I currently have a B.S. in Engineering with an Architecture Major and and Art Minor from Stanford University. As well as a coterminal M.S. degree from Stanford in Civil Engineering (Sustainable Design and Construction, Structures Focus). I am currently working at an architecture firm in the Bay Area until the fall. I am now deciding on which school to pursue my M.Arch at to become a licensed and practicing architect. 

I eventually would like to be licensed in the U.S., but would also enjoy working abroad for several years. What are your thoughts in choosing between the above programs and its impact on my career? I am specifically interested in sustainability, biomimetic design, emergent technologies, computational analysis/genetic algorithms, etc., which I why I am considering these specific programs.

What's the studio culture like at these programs?

How important is the name reputation of a school in professional architectural practice? (ex. I really like the Denver program but it isn’t as well known or prestigious) Which school would you choose and why?

Thank you for your help! 

Mar 15, 17 3:14 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: