Archinect
anchor

Is it necessary to draft with layers like A-WALL-xxxx or can you draft with a range of general layers like 01-HEAVY?

l3wis

Hello, noob question: 

Why do so many drawing sets seem to have dozens and dozens of layers all corresponding to specific elements or types of lines, such as A-WALL-GYP or whatever? Why not just draft using lineweights (01-HEAVY, 02-MEDIUM, etc.) and be consistent about what sort of line gets which lineweight? Is it because this is too hard to coordinate among multiple drafters?

Reason I'm asking is I'm going to start drawing a set independently for the first time and the notion of having 30-50 different layers gives me a splitting headache.

Mar 14, 17 3:08 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 5 Comments

Non Sequitur

30 to 50? Ha... We have 100s of layers and often use them all, esp in furniture / tenant layouts.

Using only line-weights does not allow you to discern/select for particular areas of a project. Exterior face of masonry vs int-gypsum board for example.

Scale is also important.  We easily have 20 detail specific layers that are frozen at scales smaller than 1:10.  You use the 1:10 detail layers because they are already set-up to print perfectly at 1:10 scale. No need to set up medium vs light vs heavy types.

Mar 14, 17 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Jaja, now you confused him with the 1:10 scale, jajajajajaja...

Mar 14, 17 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

imperial is all about the confusion

Mar 14, 17 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

tell me about it, grew up in metric, moved to imperial at 35.

Mar 14, 17 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Hey noob, The A-Wall layers you speak of are industry (AIA) standards. Keep in mind the usefulness of turning layers on and off as your way won't work so well for that. Ok for details but plans need stuff turned on and off like demo or ceiling stuff. You also communicate thru layer names... P-Fixt-Exst or P-Fixt, etc so you don't have to explain to others.

Mar 14, 17 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It's totally unnecessary if you communicate in JPEG-format.

Mar 14, 17 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

is this 1999 or 2017?

we draw architecture, not lines, lines are the printed form, the things you draw represent things; beams, walls, doors, windows. 

Mar 14, 17 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
senjohnblutarsky

They're absolutely necessary.  

And if I catch you on one of my projects and not using them, I will hunt you down. 

And you better be using annotative things as well. 

Mar 15, 17 8:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: