Archinect
anchor

Columbia GSAPP vs UPENN (m.arch1)

calebehly

I've been accepted to both, I plan on going to one of their open houses, and visiting the others. As I am from the west coast and cant afford to go to both, does anyone who has been to either as a student or just visiting have any input? That would be great!

Also, i feel like it is important to mention, that one of the main reason Iam still considering Columbia, as even with out a scholarship, upenn is not only is still cheaper you can actually live there... with out being homeless....... is the fact I am very interested in academia (while practicing). I've done a good bit of research and every where/school i look, every teacher/ adjunct is from Columbia.... obviously not literally but theirs so many hey might as well all be. so any input along that matter would also be appreciated!

money

GSAPP(15k merit scholarship)

Upenn (still waiting for aid notice)

Thanks you!

Mar 11, 17 6:54 pm
Hemichromis

I've had the pleasure of working with someone from upenn – an architect, but I think this was undergrad and had major in engineering. This person is at the top of the game. If they are a reflection on teaching quality then I'd recommend. Good luck with studies

Mar 11, 17 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
arifj

I believe Penn still works with a pretty "digital design" (though that's probably a terrible way to describe it) focus, which some people might find off putting. While it seems to me that's GSAPP has moved away from that type of stuff. Well not that it was necessarily ever doing it but you get my gist. In other words try and find some recent student work on Issuu or even superarchitects or the like. Assuming financials are the same for each you should try to see which professors or pedagogies each school might offer you. Especially if you are interested in academia. Sorry for the rambling comment

Mar 11, 17 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
calebehly

Penn and Columbia both gave me the same scholarship, this is going to amke it an even harder choice... plus trying to leverage more money....

Mar 14, 17 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: