Archinect
anchor

Shall I translate working drawing annotations to English?

Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

I spent a year working for a firm in Europe.

I want to include some construction details from one of their projects in my portfolio, as my role in the firm was technical.

Shall I translate the text and annotations to English so that it is easier to read? Or is it considered unprofessional to alter information on drawings without the architect's consent?

Mar 11, 17 2:25 pm
Non Sequitur
If you can edit the notes, I think that implies that you have access to the original files an not just PDFs. I think it's unethical to take working drawing files without permission but if the office gave its blessing then there is no issue... Although any architect should be able to read the detail without English notes.
Mar 11, 17 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

I just have PDF files and all the notes and information on the title panel are in a foreign language. 

I thought about cropping the title panel out of the image and replacing the annotations in Photoshop but was unsure whether it would be frowned upon.

Mar 11, 17 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Leave as is and explain in title or text box if abs necessary. Don't change. As long as the drawings look good, nobody will read your annotations any way if it's for a portfolio and you can explain it all in person during interviews.

Mar 11, 17 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Yeah I wouldn't bother with it. We'll pick up on the graphic cues in the drawings anyway.
Mar 11, 17 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

No. It exudes more authenticity and it would look good too ;)

Mar 11, 17 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
think_again

I disagree with the above comments.

If handy, take a look at an issue of DETAIL (like the one below). It's very useful to have a translation specially for the materials used in the project specially if you have great technical experience. In this case it can be a legend similar to what DETAIL presents in their spreads.

Mar 11, 17 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

Use it as an opportunity to explain your knowledge of the details during the interview. So, yes translate the annotations, but in person. 

Mar 13, 17 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: