Archinect
anchor

GSD MLA Pre-Requisite

srarch

Hi there! 

I am from Argentina and hold a 6-year Bachelor with Licensure degree in Architecture. I have been admitted to MLA I AP at Harvard GSD and they ask me for an Environmental Science pre-requisite course. 

My degree included a one-year long subject of Landscape architecture which included most of the topics taught at the course asked by GSD. I will try to show them that I have already studied those topics.

Have anyone done this particular Environmental Science course online ? 

Thanks!

Mar 11, 17 12:17 pm
think_again

Let them know you proficiency with the subject and you'll get the credit. The topic itself seems interesting, check out the online course at edx for course goals.

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-environmental-science-dartmouthx-dart-envs-02x

Mar 11, 17 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

the above is not true.  for better or for worse the pre-requisites are quite strict and demonstrating knowledge about a subject won't get the requirement waived.  someone already looked at your transcript and decided you needed an environmental science course.  either you submit a course syllabus and get it waived, or you take the class.

source:  i go to the GSD and went through this exact process last year.   

Mar 11, 17 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
srarch

@Dangermouse that is my idea to upload the course syllabus I have taken during my bachelor.

In case they do not accept to waive this pre requisite, did you do the environmental course they suggest? How long is it?

Hope meeting you at the GSD!

Mar 13, 17 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

i have a b.s. in horticulture so i didn't need to take an environmental science pre-requisite. i had to submit a photography course syllabus to have my visual rep. requirement waived.  i would just take the course they suggest, from what i've heard it isn't particularly time consuming. 

Mar 13, 17 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
scones1226

Have any incoming GSD students that need to fulfill the History of the Built Environment course found an affordable online option? 

Apr 17, 17 10:09 am  · 
 · 
ritumalhotra

Hi srarch , dangermouse 

Is there a prerequirement of work experience for  MLA 1 at GSD ? If yes how many years ? 

Thanks 

Apr 17, 17 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
untitled123

No

Mar 30, 18 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
untitled123

Somewhere on the admitted students portal GSD suggests this course to satisfy the environmental science requirement:   StraighterLine

I haven't started it myself, but it definitely seems like one of the cheapest options.  The online classes offered through universities usually charge for the credits at the on-campus rates. 

Mar 30, 18 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
untitled123

I found the page on the GSD portal:

Prerequisite Courses

All students required or encouraged to take a particular course will have been notified to do so on their online application status page.  Please click on the checklist requirement for history of the built environment, visual studies, or environmental science on your application status page for instructions on how to request review of a previous or proposed course.

Master in Landscape Architecture students (MLA I and MLA I AP)

If your application status page indicates that a course in environmental science, visual arts, and/or history of the built environment is required, here are guidelines:

• One semester of environmental science. May be fulfilled with biology, ecology, geology, or botany courses. 
  • One semester of visual arts. We strongly recommend drawing.
  • One semester of the history of the built environment. We recommend taking an architectural history course.

You may enroll in online or traditional-classroom courses.  For approval, please submit a course description and/or syllabus to the GSD by April 21. Upon approval, the applicant must submit proof of enrollment in the course no later than May 1. A grade of B- or better is required. An official transcript, sent directly from the institution to the GSD, must be received by the GSD no later than August 15. 

Pre-approved online environmental science course:

1. Introduction to Environmental Science (StaighterLine Online Courses)

Pre-approved history of the built environment courses:

1. SUNY Empire State College: Introduction the History of Western Architecture
  2. UC Berkeley Extension School: American Environmental and Cultural History

Pre-approved visual arts course:

1. Academy of Art University: LAN 193 Landscape Drawing & Drafting
    • Type "LAN 193" in the search bar 

Mar 30, 18 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: