Archinect
anchor

Finding Hiring managers names

assma

Hello, I am sending applications for internships and i am having a hard time finding the hiring managers names. I considered emailing them to ask for the manager's name but with some offices i want to apply to the same firm but in multiple locations. What's your advice ? 

PS: Is an Operating officer considered a HR professional ?

Thank youu

Mar 8, 17 6:53 pm
spiketwig

Just address it to the firm... "Dear SOM" or whatever. I've gotten tons of interviews using that strategy over the last 7+ years. I know the hiring manager advice is thrown around, but frankly I find it pretty creepy if applicants are digging for names that aren't in the job ad. 

Mar 9, 17 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Call the office.  Ask if there is someone you can forward a résumé to.  Front desk people will usually share. 

Mar 9, 17 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
spiketwig

Nooooo don't call! Imagine how many calls these offices would be getting if everyone did this. Do not call. Most job postings specifically say not to call. If someone called me up and my posting said not to call me, I would disqualify them for not following instructions. If it's a big office, maybe you get the receptionist (who will know at most the name of the HR manager, but who knows if that's who actually is reviewing your cover letters); if it's a small office, they probably don't have a receptionist and you're interrupting the work. Lose-lose. 

Mar 9, 17 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

If the ad says not to call, that's fine. But otherwise, I don't understand the aversion to calling.

Every job offer I've gotten involved a phone call or in-person communication.  Every rejection I've ever gotten was when all communication was internet based.  

A phone call is another chance to make an impression.  For this particular call, just being polite and the like.  Not trying to sell oneself. 

Mar 9, 17 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

go to the office, bring doughnuts and a banjo serenade the staff  - they will tell you.

Mar 9, 17 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
assma

hahahaa Thank you guys for the advice, bringing doughnuts would be nice I'll try doing that :pp

@spiketwig, your advice is gold Thank you :D

Mar 10, 17 4:47 am  · 
 · 

Don't call, it is a distraction for the firms and most actually do not have an HR person because they are small. If they do have an HR person they probably have an online application and use data to presort your resume / application.  If I need to find a name for a cover letter to be addressed to I use Linked IN and search the company website.

Most important thing is to follow all instructions in the job posting

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 10, 17 6:45 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvG3R-xOMzE

Mar 10, 17 11:15 am  · 
 · 
randomised

If the hiring manager is not specified in the ad, they don't want you to know, simple as that I guess, maybe they have jobs to do instead of answering phone calls from dozens potential interns.

Mar 10, 17 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: