Archinect
anchor

Can a civil engineer become architect also?

rishabhsoni1494

I've done civil engineering, and wanted to pursue masters in architecture to learn the design process of a building. I've shortlisted UCL Bartlett and wanted to apply for MArch Part II, but the problem is that it is asking for portfolio and I don't have any.
​Can I apply for that programme?
​How to make a portfolio for the application, and what will be the content of it?
What will be the offers for job i'll get after graduating?
​Thanks

Mar 7, 17 3:59 pm
Non Sequitur

A civil engineer can also be a surgeon or a cruise ship captain too if they follow-through with the required qualifications.

As far as you're concerned, these would entail an accredited masters in architecture and in order to do so, you need a design portfolio... and a fantastic one too since you'll be competing with other applicants with actual design/architecture backgrounds.

Your portfolio needs to be a reflection of your design and creative skills. No one can tell you want to put in it but please note that most take years to accumulate quality material for their portfolios.

Mar 7, 17 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

I made a portfolio out of what I had because building stuff was what fascinated me not design. It consisted of a custom built pool table, bridge in my yard, some furniture and skate board ramps. Included rough plans I had made of all. No design work, I was accepted at a top10 school.

Mar 7, 17 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^That's still design

Mar 7, 17 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

absolutely!

Mar 7, 17 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Ha ha, I meant I didn't have any pictures of nonsensical floating structures at sunset. According to all my professors in school that's why I sucked. But guess what? Even in LA most clients aren't looking for that.

Mar 7, 17 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

But OP so you are making 60-80k right now right?

Masters at London 50k (tuition, board, food)

Missed two years of working (120k)

Starting salary 48-55k? (missed earnings of 25k/yr)

In three years you are down 195k, what if.....

You keep working and use that 195k for land build your first house and begin a much more rewarding path than CAD monkey?

Mar 7, 17 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Or get your Civil Engineering qualification/license if you do not already have it and patter with an architect and start up your own thing

Mar 7, 17 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Sometimes civil engineers can team up with artists. Don't sell yourself short. Charles Bridge in Prague.

Mar 8, 17 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
razdaz

Hey OP, I'd be interested to know if you get any advice from Bartlett about your eligibility to apply for their course - I can't afford it but would be good to know.

Mar 9, 17 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
Brud-G

I'm a P.E. and a R.A. My degree is a BS in Engineering.

My state didn't require me to do any extra schooling/degrees to become an architect. I did need to work in an architects office longer than your typical arch grad though. That was ok with me, since I was getting paychecks.

Mar 10, 17 11:24 am  · 
1  · 
chigurh

If you didn't get an architectural education there is a huge piece of development missing to really ever "get it" as an architect.  

Mar 10, 17 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: