Archinect
anchor

MLA 2017 admission / decisions

Anizook

Have not been able to find a forum for MLA 2017 applicants...so here we go. 

Was wondering what schools people have applied to/ heard back from and where they plan on going.

Applied: USC, Berkeley, Penn, GSD, U of washington, U of oregon all for MLA II programs

Accepted: Penn for MLA I (3 years is to much $$ for me) / GSD for MLA I AP

Awaiting for the others. I am interested in Berkeley and am wondering if anybody has heard back, or if anybody (current student, alumni) could share what they're experience/thoughts on Berkeleys MLA program. 

Mar 5, 17 11:04 am
larchitecture

I'm primarily looking at urban design degrees, but I've applied to two MLA programs (Washington for the UD certificate and WashU for dual degree).

Accepted at WashU for the 3 year MLA/MUD track. I likely won't attend, unless they hand me a really solid scholarship when financial decisions are made.

Still waiting on UW.

Mar 5, 17 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
srarch

- 23 / M / Argentina
- Bachelor of Architecture (6 years) with Licensure / National University of Cordoba
- GPA: 3.76 / 4.00
- GRE: 144 V / 147 Q  / 3.0 W - Do not like these standardised exams, one try.
- TOEFL: 92 / 120
- LOR: 1 thesis professor, 1 Director of Architecture office, 1 GSD alumni, 
- Portfolio: 5 projects - Thesis work, Student Work, International Competition, 2 Professional projects in architecture office
- Applied: YSOA, GSD, Penn, GSAPP

IN:

- GSD - MLA I AP 
- Penn - MLA II

OUT: 

- YSOA - M. Arch II

Waitlisted on GSAPP M.S.AAD

Mar 5, 17 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
scones1226

- 29/F/USA
- BFA
- GPA: 3.7 / 4.00

applied: Penn, GSD, UVA, IIT, Maryland, RISD, Berkeley (all 3 years)

accepted: Penn, GSD, UVA, IIT, RISD

waiting on: Berkeley, Maryland

Penn and the GSD are my top choices. I'm curious if any one else is trying to decide between these two? I got a scholarship from the GSD but still awaiting aid from Penn. 

Mar 6, 17 11:26 am  · 
 · 
larchitecture

- 26/M/USA
- BLA
- GPA Overall: 3.10  Program: 3.25
- V: 156  Q: 153  Essay: 4.0 
- Letters of recommendation - 1 from a landscape starchitect former employer, 1 from current employer, 1 from professor

Applied: Michigan (MUD), WashU (MUD/MLA), UBC (MUD), UT Austin (MSUD), UW Seattle (MLA)

In: Michigan w/ 11k scholarship, WashU, UT Austin w/ 3k grant

Out: UW Seattle (???)

Waiting on: UBC

Mar 6, 17 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
Anizook
Congrats everyone !

25/F/Canadian living in US
BArch
3.6/4.0

Update
Accepted: Berkeley for MLA ll and U of W (did not mention which MLA)

Scones1226 and srarch - was wondering if your acceptance email requested a call with Richard Weller. And if you had to do a video interview after submitting your application. I had both, but my friend who applied didn't have either. Was curious if it was an international applicant thing or something else...
Mar 6, 17 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
landarchscapes

- 26/M/USA
- March I @ Upenn
- GPA Overall: 3.7 
- Letters of recommendation from four professors

IN - Upenn (MLA I)  

Just finished the M.Arch I program at Penn, accepted as a dual but will undertake the 3 year program. The curriculum is carefully crafted and I wanted to get the full experience.  Excited to start, the Landscape program at Upenn is pretty amazing, had my eye on the student work and curriculum throughout my time in the architecture program. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Mar 6, 17 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Anizook
Congrats everyone !

25/F/Canadian living in US
BArch
3.6/4.0

Update
Accepted: U of W (did not mention which MLA)

And received a very ambiguous email from Berkeley saying "your being recommended for acceptance.." but not your accepted so I am unsure. Anyone else?

Scones1226 and srarch - was wondering if your acceptance email requested a call with Richard Weller. And if you had to do a video interview after submitting your application. I had both, but my friend who applied and is accepted didn't have either. Was curious if it was an international applicant thing or something else...
Mar 6, 17 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
Anizook
** sorry did not mean to hit post the first time. Reread Berkeley's email and no longer think it's a formal acceptance.
Mar 6, 17 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
METC

I'm also weighing GSD and Penn for an MLA I. It's difficult to truly compare while awaiting the aid letter from Penn, and I don't know if I can get away from work to fly out to both schools, since their open houses are far enough apart. For me, the gut feeling I get from visiting will tip the scale if the financial aid picture is similar. I feel like I've been on an island throughout this whole process, so I look forward to meeting people!

Mar 7, 17 12:59 am  · 
 · 
borispmchan

Anyone heard anything from UBC? And how tough is it to get into the M.Arch/MLA dual programme? 

Mar 7, 17 3:12 am  · 
 · 
scones1226

Hey Anizook. Congrats to you, too!! I have a friend who is considering U Washington. Very exciting! 

I had to do a video interview. Seriously uncomfortable. It was the most unnatural interview process I've ever been through. RISD makes you do a two minute video of your self, but at least you can get your thoughts together before submitting. 

I also had a very short conversation with Richard after receiving my acceptance email from him. No real information, just a "so you're in" chat. I love Penn's program. The faculty is incredible and seems to be pretty focused on the program. It'll really come down to the aid package. 

I got pretty informal acceptance email from Berkeley last night, too. I also got into Maryland last night (more official). I think I'll be choosing between Berkeley, Penn, and GSD. 

Mar 7, 17 9:15 am  · 
 · 
srarch

Hey Anizook. Congrats also!

Penn - Yes, I had the video interview after submision and although it was a little strange  I could go through it. I received an email from Richard Weller as an admission letter, without aid information, but no phone call.

GSD- Webpage was updated and saw the admissions letter. Previously, I had a skype conversation with a faculty in order for him to get a better sense of my proeficiency in english. 

I think I will be choosing GSD ! 

If you go to GSD we will be classmates!

Mar 7, 17 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
c fisk-vittori

I have applied to GSD, Penn and CUNY for MLA I

Accepted: Penn, GSD with scholarship, and CUNY

I'm still wondering what the major differences between GSD and Penn are, I am leaning towards GSD at the moment since the have given a decent scholarship, but the program at City College New York (CUNY) is extremely affordable and seems like a great program as well. Would love more info on these three programs.

Mar 7, 17 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

GSD and Penn are functionally the same program; both schools trade off faculty and the alumni network has similar levels of presence in the professional world. CUNY is also an excellent program, albeit with less name recognition

Mar 8, 17 1:06 am  · 
 · 
calebehly

21//M
BS Arch University of Idaho
3.3/4.0

Average GRE scores

Applied: GSD, YAlE,GSAPP, UBC,CUNY,SYRACUSE, UPENN

Accepted: GSAPP (15K), UPENN(still waiting scholarship)

Denined: YALE, GSD

Any comparisons of GSAPP and PENN, I understand theoretically there is some major differences. I definitely have my opinions on both and each have their own pros on cons, but any other input would be nice!

Mar 7, 17 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

general pro tips:  

you can call richard weller and see if penn will match the GSD's award offer.  some people I met @ admitted students weekend last year did that and got revised aid offers.  

go to the admitted students events.  its important to meet your potential future classmates, and to see the resources you'll have available to you.  

consider what resources are available outside your program.  at harvard, for example, you can cross register for courses at the college and the other graduate schools, and at MIT. 

Mar 8, 17 1:14 am  · 
 · 
srarch

Who is finally going to GSD MLA?

Apr 17, 17 11:33 am  · 
 · 
scones1226

I am! Still trying to sort out pre-req stuff, though. 

Apr 17, 17 11:47 am  · 
 · 
srarch

I am sending you an email!

Apr 17, 17 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
METC

I chose GSD as well!

Apr 17, 17 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
srarch

Also sent you one!

Apr 17, 17 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
vitafusion

i got in gsd MLA this year and i'm wondering if i should go there or penn. anyone have insight?

Mar 3, 18 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
scones1226

Can you go to the open houses? I found going to Penn and GSD's open houses ended up being extremely helpful. I wouldn't say that the info sessions were all that persuasive, but spending time in the buildings and chatting with the students really helped me make my decision. 

Also, as probably a thousand other people have said, go to the place that gives you the most money. Both programs are great, you really can't go wrong. I like the faculty at Penn a lot, but, in the end, I was more impressed with the students at the GSD. Also, even though Gund can be a total pain in the ass sometimes, the desk situation is a lot nicer. 

You're welcomed to email me and we can chat further if you'd like.

Mar 3, 18 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

before you go to grad school, watch this:

architecture school is very similar, but i'm charging a bit more for the readings

Mar 4, 18 1:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: