Archinect
anchor

MArch without any practical experience?

keeragh

Hi, 

I have an unconditional offer from my university (where I completed BA), but since graduating I have worked in completely unrelated jobs and been travelling. Is it worthwhile considering doing a masters, despite not having any work experience, or will I basically be miles behind everyone else? Also would it look very strange when looking for work after Uni's hung my masters? 

Oh also it's a UK uni, any help or info would be great, thanks !

Mar 3, 17 3:29 pm
Non Sequitur

Plenty of people go straight from BA to MA without ever stepping inside an arch office. It's dumb not to at least have an idea of what the profession is like, but that should not stop you. Plenty of time during the MA to learn.

Mar 3, 17 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Imani38

It's probably a good idea to get some experience before you graduate with a masters though. Not only for the sake of having experience and being more marketable, but also to make sure that this profession is actually what you want to do-- architecture in an office is much different than architecture in academia so you should really make sure you know what you're getting into before spending a lot of time and money on your education. Try to do an internship the summer before you start school and/or during the summer breaks. Some schools also have co-op programs as part of the curriculum in the masters program like U of Cincinnati. You learn SO MUCH more working in an office to prepare for professional work. Having some experience will not only enhance your resume, but it'll put you at an advantage with also knowing what kind of firm you eventually want to work for-- big, small, medium size, what kinds of project types, etc. so there's a smaller chance that you're stuck somewhere that you hate after graduation.  

Mar 15, 17 10:54 am  · 
 · 
TED

Be careful. there are many MArch's (12-18 months) in the UK that are not towards Part 2. There are no requirements for non-professional degrees and often interdisciplinary so they like taking candidates with other related degrees. 

I don't know any Uni in the UK who would offer a place on a Part 2 without a previous architectural degree (international or Part 1) - what university?

Mar 15, 17 11:02 am  · 
 · 
TED

Sorry - read your post assuming you don't have a part 1. It is better to do a year work before you do a masters if you can. Will help you better time manage bits and not get hung up on small issues one does when designing. If you didn't struggle in you final year, then no sweat - you won't be behind. There are so many schools in the UK the range of abilities is quit shocking to say the least - by the end, most students get there.

Mar 15, 17 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: